The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can i run my bpu on normal unleaded 95 ron and can standard ecu be mapped?

shetlandsupra

Good Afternoon chap thats a long way north :D

Is your Supra UK or an import ? if its an import its will have been set up in Japan to run on 97+ ron petrol or whatever they have in Japan, but if 95 ron is all you have its kinda hobsons choice you have there ....also the Standard ECU isnt mappable as far as i know :(

Cheers

-Ian-

The short answer is yes to you can run it on normal unleaded (off boost), how long that lasts I don't know.

No the standard ECU can not be mapped.

I have ran normal unleaded when I had no choice but ran the car off boost, didn't feel great, lumpy idle & miss fired when I tried a hard pull. If you are running 400bph I'd try & either get a mappable ECU or just run off boost or buy an NA!

so best option is to get a new ecu and get it mapped?

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for all your posts!

Do you have a UK Spec or JSpec Supra?

A good point was made above if it is a UK Spec you can run 95 Ron, though I personally would be cautious of putting in 95 Ron if you are running full BPU. Do you have an AFR gauge in the car?

The short answer is yes to you can run it on normal unleaded (off boost), how long that lasts I don't know.

No the standard ECU can not be mapped.

I have ran normal unleaded when I had no choice but ran the car off boost, didn't feel great, lumpy idle & miss fired when I tried a hard pull. If you are running 400bph I'd try & either get a mappable ECU or just run off boost or buy an NA!

This is what I believed.

You cannot doi the car any harm running it on 95 Ron unleaded. I have done this a couple of times on long runs and not been able to get a higher Ron rating. As far as I know (off boost) this will not be an issue. On boost is a different matter and the car will run lean if too much is asked of it.

I ran my NA on 95 Ron and LPG for three and a half years and 17K miles. This car has now done another 50k miles on LPG alone. I laugh at al the scare mongering about the car car blowing up if you don't empty your ash trays etc. If I were you up there I would run it on 95 and don't go mad or just buy an NA. Octane booster is also an option but I think it's a bit hit and miss getting a good mixture.

H.

Edited by Havard (see edit history)