The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to get a hold of the 2nd cat?

DonDavidson

I've made 2 threads in the "parts wanted" section recently with no replies and im really struggling here, i desperately need a 2nd cat and lambda sensor to get my motor through its MOT but googling it doesn't come up with anything and cant even find anything on Ebay??? if i can't find it then im going to have to sell it as is, SORN with no tax and not able to pass an MOT, you guys can imagine what kind of price i am going to get for it even though it is in great condition otherwise.

i must be wording it wrong or something because i am seriously stuck on how i am supposed to acquire this part and even what kind of price it would be, i was quoted £800 by a garage but that has GOT to be BS surely?

Any information would be VERY much appreciated guys.

*Update in new post on 4th page*

Edited by DonDavidson (see edit history)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one you can borrow, if you fancy a trip to the Midlands :)

Its a bit far unfortunately haha, would of been handy though.

Where are you talking it for its mot mate?

My dads mate owns a garage, i think its called the "station garage" in kintore/kemnay.

They said because its not a safety issue he would try everything he could to wangle it through but it is a no go for whatever reason.

My dads mate owns a garage, i think its called the "station garage" in kintore/kemnay.

They said because its not a safety issue he would try everything he could to wangle it through but it is a no go for whatever reason.

Would a cat do you instead of a decat? I can't remember of my head, is the decat the small car or the longer cat?

Would a cat do you instead of a decat? I can't remember of my head, is the decat the small car or the longer cat?

Not entirely sure, from the picture the garage showed me of what my exhaust "should" look like it was a big "Y" shaped looking thing.

I really am terrible at this.

i just know its the second cat :( sorry

Here is a pic showing the o/e first cat and second cat bolted together, the second cat is

the longer one :)

It also shows a 1 piece decat pipe behind the cat pipes

The Y piece section is after the second decat pipe and is nothing

to do with the cats, they are just silencers and run to the back of

the car out the single tail pipe

Mvc-024f.jpg

supra_stock_exhaust.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Here is a pic showing the o/e first cat and second cat bolted together, the second cat is

the longer one :)

It also shows a 1 piece decat pipe behind the cat pipes

The Y piece section is after the second decat pipe and is nothing

to do with the cats, they are just silencers and run to the back of

the car out the single tail pipe

Ahhh ok, cheers for that, will save these pictures for future reference.

Have you tried mot-ing it yet or are you assuming it will fail. Mine passes the emissions test every year with just the first cat in. You might find its fine as it is

test has been done already at two different garages, first was a small family run garage and second is a bigger garage owned by a family friend, both failed due to there not being a lambda sensor because it apparently should be housed in the same part of the exhaust as the 2nd cat which had been lopped off and replaced with a straight through pipe, they said there were just bare wires their but no sensor.

Whoever it was that decatted the exhaust it just seemed like they took a pair of snips to the wires and lopped it off.

- - - Updated - - -

"for uk TT" unfortunately i am on a J-spec NA haha

Are you NA or TT?

I am surprised your "friendly" MOT station can't do anything for you. Mine just plugged the sensor into a Fiesta and put the details on my sheet....lol..!!

I have an NA second cat in my shed.

H.

this is initally what i thought they would do but for whatever reason he said it was a no go, He did say that because it wasn't a safety issue he would try and wangle it through but then later on said it was a no go :(

NA's aren't subject to a full cat test, therefore the "part of the exhaust system missing" RfR is NOT relevant to your car. Vosa have NO vehicle specific information on the 2JZ GE engine, and therefore cannot be tested as a GTE. Tell them to read the manual, demand a FREE retest, or give you appeal information and let Vosa decide.

Case closed.

test has been done already at two different garages, first was a small family run garage and second is a bigger garage owned by a family friend, both failed due to there not being a lambda sensor because it apparently should be housed in the same part of the exhaust as the 2nd cat which had been lopped off and replaced with a straight through pipe, they said there were just bare wires their but no sensor.

Whoever it was that decatted the exhaust it just seemed like they took a pair of snips to the wires and lopped it off.

- - - Updated - - -

"for uk TT" unfortunately i am on a J-spec NA haha

Rubbish, the sensor in the second cat is for the cat over temp sensor. The lambda sensors are in the manifold for the NA.

If their failing it because the over temp light is on I've got a sensor here I can post up to you.