The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie Here

Uncle_Gravy

Hey there,

Joined a few days ago, looking at members cars (Majority of them very beautiful btw) and hoping to get one in the future.

I'll probably be looking around september time for one as insurance for my current car (Clio btw) is up.

Done some quotes for Uk spec TTs and i'm getting around £800-1000 admiral being the cheapest which really surprised me considering by the time the clio insurance is up i'll be 21yo with 1ncb.

Hopefully with the mighty wisdom from most of you, you'll be able to help me out.

Ideally i'd love a UK spec TT With a manual (but just looking around they seem rare), reasonable milage nothing over 100k and preferably stock, with a budget of 6k-8k.

Cheers.

Welcome to the club.

6-8k will get you an auto TT, decent TT6 will be £10k+

Though some have come up recently go around £9k.

I'd recommend you check insurance on a JSpec too as the UK is a lot cheaper due to it being a UK car. Saying that if you got some NCB's tucked under you then it isn't much of a difference at all.

Make sure you spend plenty of time reading up on the forum, loads to learn. :)

Welcome to the club.

I'd be more concerned with service history and condition than milage, UK spec cars are 17 - 20 years old now so for the age 100k miles is deemed to be low and with the correct maintenance (not cheap!) they will drive like new. Doubling the low end of your budget might get you into a UK TT6 with over 100k miles on it!

Auto's represent great value, happy hunting!

Don't worry about the mileage. These things pull hard well into 200k miles in some cases.

And as said, a UK TT manual you're looking £10k+. JSpec TT6 you could find on your budget though.

Where in Gwent are you? I'm in Chepstow :)

Cwmbran mate.

I've got until september so something will turn up...............hopefully.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

The problem with J-specs or it was for me is that the insurance prices are ludicrous. It was 4k+ for a JSpec or 1000 for a UK spec so I decided to spend the 3000 on the car rather than into the hands of the insurance companies. As has been said above your budget is not really enough. You will struggle to find a stock example these days as most UK's have been modded or kitted, but mileage isn't too much of an issue I would rather have one with 100K miles with a War and Peace size folder of receipts than one that has done 50K with no paperwork at all.

There are approximately 217 UK's left here from the original 628 of with 67 manuals and 150 autos remain. I bet there are about 40ish manuals currently on this forum, the envy demo car and PB has 2 so you have roughly 25 potential cars to chose from if they haven't been written off in the cold weather, been rotting somewhere for umpteen years, highly kitted / modified or part of someone collection. Not putting a downer on it for you but just putting it into perspective.

For example I have a black UK manual 6 speed that is stock, loads of receipts, FSH, 75K miles, orginal paint and great condition. I wouldn't let mine go for anything less than 15K more once I have fixed the little niggles, I know a lot of people here would say that that is too much etc I probably wouldn't get it from a UK buyer but it would be very attractive to a buyer from the continent.

Sorry for the sermon I get carried away some times !!

The problem with J-specs or it was for me is that the insurance prices are ludicrous. It was 4k+ for a JSpec or 1000 for a UK spec so I decided to spend the 3000 on the car rather than into the hands of the insurance companies. As has been said above your budget is not really enough. You will struggle to find a stock example these days as most UK's have been modded or kitted, but mileage isn't too much of an issue I would rather have one with 100K miles with a War and Peace size folder of receipts than one that has done 50K with no paperwork at all.

There are approximately 217 UK's left here from the original 628 of with 67 manuals and 150 autos remain. I bet there are about 40ish manuals currently on this forum, the envy demo car and PB has 2 so you have roughly 25 potential cars to chose from if they haven't been written off in the cold weather, been rotting somewhere for umpteen years, highly kitted / modified or part of someone collection. Not putting a downer on it for you but just putting it into perspective.

For example I have a black UK manual 6 speed that is stock, loads of receipts, FSH, 75K miles, orginal paint and great condition. I wouldn't let mine go for anything less than 15K more once I have fixed the little niggles, I know a lot of people here would say that that is too much etc I probably wouldn't get it from a UK buyer but it would be very attractive to a buyer from the continent.

Sorry for the sermon I get carried away some times !!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, at that price i'd probably look at getting an Elise or something, 15k is alot of money for an old Toyota, albeit an excellent Toyota, I probably could stretch to 10k then cry as I watch that amount of money leave my hands.

Insurance

UK Spec - £800

J Spec - £1800

Edited by Uncle_Gravy
checked insurance (see edit history)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, at that price i'd probably look at getting an Elise or something, 15k is alot of money for an old Toyota, albeit an excellent Toyota, I probably could stretch to 10k then cry as I watch that amount of money leave my hands.

I would probably stick to your original budget and get a mint auto. Manuals do come up for 10K but the ones I have seen lately have been highly modified, plus the in a few years the Supra will be a classic and start going up in value. So think of it as an investment as well as a whole heap of fun !!

Grand more for a J spec, £1800, The auto is a 4 speed right? How does it feel to drive with one less gear then a normal car?

The auto's are 3 gears and an overdrive - Lots of members love their auto box's (me included) purely for the rush of the kickdown. The manuals are good also and generally cost more because of the potential to upgrade to serous levels of horsepower. The best thing to do is to try and test drive both and then make a decision.

Not sure if there are regular local meets near to you where perhaps a couple of members could take you out.

Happy hunting but dont dismiss the auto out of hand unless as I say you want to go for serious numbers

Grand more for a J spec, £1800, The auto is a 4 speed right? How does it feel to drive with one less gear then a normal car?

That's because you don't have much driving experience. Once you have 5/6 years of NCB it is hardly any difference.

I have owned an auto & currently have a 6 speed & can tell you know it is one of the best gearboxes you can get. Superb drive, smooth & savage acceleration.

That's because you don't have much driving experience. Once you have 5/6 years of NCB it is hardly any difference.

I have owned an auto & currently have a 6 speed & can tell you know it is one of the best gearboxes you can get. Superb drive, smooth & savage acceleration.

Plus you don't need clutch control for an auto :sly: