The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A engine help

scott87

Im thinking of waiting until later next year to do my turbo build due to hopefully starting a busy job soon :-). However i would like to get the current n/a engine out and clean it and replace lots of bits to make it 'better'.

Im obviously talking about doing the pumps, belts and pulleys, but im going to open it up to. What should i consider replacing or just cleaning? Im not looking to get power of anything, just want to refresh the old block a bit to ensure its strong for years to come.

Mileage?

In my eyes, the only reason to open an engine is if there is something wrong, or going built engine.

But oil pump, front crank seal, rear crank seal (maybe) would be on my list.

Its low, but it's coming out to be cleaned/painted and have the gaskets done. Its literally just hit 168,000 kilometers.

Remove/clean injectors or replace them?

Hopefully getting the engine ready/refreshed, that way if i want to go na-t its nice and ready.

Its low, but it's coming out to be cleaned/painted and have the gaskets done. Its literally just hit 168,000 kilometers.

Remove/clean injectors or replace them?

Hopefully getting the engine ready/refreshed, that way if i want to go na-t its nice and ready.

Problem is buddy. If your going to go na-t depending on what kind of power your looking at you might need to re-open the engine up again at a later date. Seems silly.

May aswell just do it all at once and just keep to basic service items for now?

Problem is buddy. If your going to go na-t depending on what kind of power your looking at you might need to re-open the engine up again at a later date. Seems silly.

May aswell just do it all at once and just keep to basic service items for now?

I have spoken about the build options and im planning on running a relatively low power build anyway so nothing much is going to be changed. The gaskets need doing so it seems sensible to just overhall all at the same time.

The service manual details all the checks, tolerances, specs, torque figures, etc.

I've uploaded a copy here: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/409642/JZA80_Service_Manual.zip

Cheers. So even with it out, general consensus just change what needs to be changed, rather than just blindly overhauling.

Cheers for the advice, ill probably do it over a few days so will document and right up as i go so others can use it.

Not to put you off chap but na engines a ten a penny I picked my Spare up for £120 out of a low mileage 60000miles 1997facelift.

why bother making it strong for a small na t build if you we're going for big power then i see the point but as you say small I'm guessing round 370bhp there's not much point your engine should take that no problem as is...!

I'm aiming for 400-450bhp on my na t and all I have done is tt head gasket to the engine it's self

Yer i do get that the engines are cheap and it should be fine but my plan over the next year is to replace all of the suspension with new and polybush, Clean and re-seal the

car, repaint, and then it seemed only sensible that going to all this effort i refresh the engine to the same degree.

But maybe your right, ill do all the other bits as they 'need' to be done, then run the engine as is and refresh it when it needs it.