The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dead battery > booster > trickle recommendation?

Guest RoxyTT

Weekend all.

To add to the battery thread(s) :

Went to start up the car today, after sitting about three weeks and am completely flat - no dash lights, ticking etc.

I have a Sealey Roadstart 131 which I keep charged for a quick jump on our other cars, and when connected I receive full electrical power in the car.

However these products aren't meant for batteries drained to under about 7 volts and I believe my Autowatch is draining the battery ever so slowly.

I believe it's time I invest in a trickle charger, but was curious if anyone had a recommendation on one that also does low amperage boost setting to bring the battery up to a maintainable level and then charge it, or if they all do that automatically?

Edited by RoxyTT (see edit history)

I have had one of thesefor a couple of years. For the money, they are excellent. Mine lives outside in a tupperware box under the car.

The problem I had was that many chargers didn't come with much lead length and as my car was outside the front door I struggled to get the charger to the car. If you have a garage then you are laughing..!!

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs-3.6.php

H.

optimate 111 keeps mine in tip top condition

Will check it out Peter.

I have had one of thesefor a couple of years. For the money, they are excellent. Mine lives outside in a tupperware box under the car.

The problem I had was that many chargers didn't come with much lead length and as my car was outside the front door I struggled to get the charger to the car. If you have a garage then you are laughing..!!

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs-3.6.php

H.

I had heard of Ctek. Do you know approximate cable length and do they make battery (such as triple or double A) powered ones?

I use a Ctek one too, its on my car permanently in the garage but the leads aren't long, maybe 6ft length total from power socket to the car battery, works brilliantly though.

Not sure if they do battery powered one?, I doubt it though, they work by constantly charging up then slightly discharging the battery to keep the cycle running constantly so it would run out of power very quickly if not connected to the mains.

I have a redtop optima battery which has just been sitting there for a few months and will be till late this year when I need to use it, should I be charging it? Or just leave it and charge it when I need to use it? Or is it possible it is now no good?

Would it sulfate that much in a few months?. You could look at it this way, 50 bones for a new battery or 50 bones for a charger. At least the charger comes in handy later on.

I've also got a Ctek 3600 like Havard. Recommended.

Parry: no battery (phone, laptop, or car) likes to be left to discharge. I don't know how shops (e.g. Halfords) keep their batteries sufficiently topped up on their shelves.

Cold temperatures will really cane a battery, so if yours is kept in the warm this will help a lot.

I bought one from Halfords for £30 (supposed to be £40 without the discount) which I'm going to get on there tomorrow. The wires aren't long enough, so I'm going to make them longer.

I've seen some stuff on making something for the battery (a metal bracket to put the clips on), as the crocodile clips won't go over the positive side with the battery hooked up.

Agree with Drew there.

Ctek are great for the cheapies (under 100 quid) from direct experience but they won't charge a "dead battery" every time - voltage less than 10.8 or so volts. Try an old fashioned big charger to get something in the dead one, and then later switch over to a budget Ctek. Then they're great. Else a dead battery will get you stuck in Stage 2 or Stage 3.. or whatever and after 8 hours the Ctek unit gives up.

Guest OptimaJim

Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. It is always a good idea to use a quality battery maintenance device on any battery that doesn't see regular use. There are plenty of good options to consider, but the best will be microprocessor-controlled and offer specific settings for AGM batteries. Whenever any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts, sulfation begins to form, which diminishes both capacity and lifespan. Fully-charged, our RedTops (and most flooded batteries) will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts.

Our batteries can sit unused for extended periods of time (several months or more) with little issue. However, that is under the assumption that the battery is fully-charged when it goes into storage (most are not) and there is nothing in the vehicle (car alarm, GPS, etc...) that would discharge the battery while it is in storage. If it does need to be charged, a trickle charge current works just fine, it will just take a little longer. If sulfation has formed in the battery, a higher charge rate can help break it up and help restore some performance and capacity, but we don't recommend a rate that exceeds 10 amps. If anyone has any questions about our products, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. It is always a good idea to use a quality battery maintenance device on any battery that doesn't see regular use. There are plenty of good options to consider, but the best will be microprocessor-controlled and offer specific settings for AGM batteries. Whenever any battery is discharged below 12.4 volts, sulfation begins to form, which diminishes both capacity and lifespan. Fully-charged, our RedTops (and most flooded batteries) will measure about 12.6-12.8 volts and our YellowTops will measure about 13.0-13.2 volts.

Our batteries can sit unused for extended periods of time (several months or more) with little issue. However, that is under the assumption that the battery is fully-charged when it goes into storage (most are not) and there is nothing in the vehicle (car alarm, GPS, etc...) that would discharge the battery while it is in storage. If it does need to be charged, a trickle charge current works just fine, it will just take a little longer. If sulfation has formed in the battery, a higher charge rate can help break it up and help restore some performance and capacity, but we don't recommend a rate that exceeds 10 amps. If anyone has any questions about our products, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine

Surprised this has not been removed. Anyway, my battery has packed up after 1 week of non use...that's what happens after 3 months out in the cold/snow.

Rather than a trickle charge, will a booster pack not suffice as I'd like to be able to take her for a blast and let it charge itself.

Surprised this has not been removed. Anyway, my battery has packed up after 1 week of non use...that's what happens after 3 months out in the cold/snow.

Rather than a trickle charge, will a booster pack not suffice as I'd like to be able to take her for a blast and let it charge itself.

Hi mate

I bought this from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862345_langId_-1_categoryId_255205

It certainly works albeit is very expensive. I know you're not supposed to jump start Supra's, but this has that function and it works well.

Got a trickle charger too now.

Greg

Guest OptimaJim

Fitz, I'm not trying to sell anything, I'm just trying to help. Perhaps that is why my post wasn't removed? Batteries are not perpetual energy machines and cannot charge themselves. You vehicle's charging system is designed to maintain a battery, not recover a deeply-discharged battery. If your battery is discharged to the point that your car needs a jump-pack to re-start it, you should fully-charge the battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Using a jump-pack is the electrical equivalent of using a 1-gallon can of gas on the side of the road- your next stop if you've nearly run out of gas is a gas station. The same should be true with your battery. Relying on your vehicle's charging system to recover a deeply-discharged battery can lead to a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either your battery or alternator fails.

Jim McIlvaine

I think that Jim is doing the right thing in seeing an opportunity to be helpful.

At least he didn't blatantly start the thread.

As a mod, I see an opportunity to be helpful too, and as long as it's not a preposterous piece of self-promotion, I think his info is good.

THERE ARE OF COURSE MANY OTHER FINE BRANDS TO LOOK AT!

I guess that's where Jim and I would disagree :D

But I see what you mean Cliff and normally uncouth spammers get vanquished, and I've removed his sig. :)

I'm always one for helping members with info and please by no means take my original comment as an 'attack' on you Jim. Just the fact I have seen other people sign up for free accounts and mention a business they run. I think it was the fact your signature (now removed by Rob) was a business link and you also used the term "Our Batteries" just all came across and a subtle sales pitch.

Guest OptimaJim

Fitz, I didn't take it as an attack at all. If explaining the voltage of fully-charged batteries is a sales pitch, then I am totally guilty. The link in my signature was to the OPTIMA Pinterest account. We don't sell anything there, we basically share a bunch of cool car pictures, but it does let folks know I am a representative of the company.

I have also come across posters who sign up for an account and subtly mention their business, but I like to think I was very clear in letting folks know that I do work for OPTIMA Batteries, Inc. and as such, the information I am providing regarding proper battery care and maintenance is from a credible source. That way, when Drew_flux erroneously suggests our batteries need a “high current charger to give it a big bump to start charging,” Yakky agrees and I then post contradictory information, folks know they can either disregard the advice of those mkivsupranet veterans or take it, in spite of the fact that an official representative from the company says it isn't true.

I don't know the first and last names of anyone else who participated in this thread, where they work or what association they may or may not have with any products they have endorsed in this thread or others, but I do know many other companies do have employees who participate on forums anonymously and endorse their own products without revealing they have any affiliation. You won't see that from anyone associated with our company and while I understand some boards require payment from businesses who want to promote their products, my primary purpose on forums is to serve in a pro-active capacity for customer service. We print our toll-free number and customer service e-mail address on every battery we sell, but we also understand some of our customers may choose to ask questions about our products on forums such as this one. We want to make sure the advice they are receiving is accurate.

I don't even disagree with Lbm's suggestion that there are many fine brands to look at, but I do want to provide useful information for folks who are considering other brands- look for chargers that are microprocessor-controlled and offer specific settings for AGM batteries. That does eliminate many units, but leaves quite a few to choose from.

The fact is, we've been monitoring this board for years. If we were going to do something spammy, we would've done it by now. The only other time we've ever participated in a thread here was last year, when we cautioned users that batteries mounted inside of cars need to be properly-vented to the outside air. That entire post was deleted, which is unfortunate, given how often I see batteries mounted incorrectly and the fact that the fumes batteries do vent in extreme situations are both toxic and flammable.

Jim McIlvaine

I've been asked by the moderators not to say what my job title is or where I work.

Fitz, I didn't take it as an attack at all. If explaining the voltage of fully-charged batteries is a sales pitch, then I am totally guilty. The link in my signature was to the OPTIMA Pinterest account. We don't sell anything there, we basically share a bunch of cool car pictures, but it does let folks know I am a representative of the company.

I have also come across posters who sign up for an account and subtly mention their business, but I like to think I was very clear in letting folks know that I do work for OPTIMA Batteries, Inc. and as such, the information I am providing regarding proper battery care and maintenance is from a credible source. That way, when Drew_flux erroneously suggests our batteries need a “high current charger to give it a big bump to start charging,” Yakky agrees and I then post contradictory information, folks know they can either disregard the advice of those mkivsupranet veterans or take it, in spite of the fact that an official representative from the company says it isn't true.

I don't know the first and last names of anyone else who participated in this thread, where they work or what association they may or may not have with any products they have endorsed in this thread or others, but I do know many other companies do have employees who participate on forums anonymously and endorse their own products without revealing they have any affiliation. You won't see that from anyone associated with our company and while I understand some boards require payment from businesses who want to promote their products, my primary purpose on forums is to serve in a pro-active capacity for customer service. We print our toll-free number and customer service e-mail address on every battery we sell, but we also understand some of our customers may choose to ask questions about our products on forums such as this one. We want to make sure the advice they are receiving is accurate.

I don't even disagree with Lbm's suggestion that there are many fine brands to look at, but I do want to provide useful information for folks who are considering other brands- look for chargers that are microprocessor-controlled and offer specific settings for AGM batteries. That does eliminate many units, but leaves quite a few to choose from.

The fact is, we've been monitoring this board for years. If we were going to do something spammy, we would've done it by now. The only other time we've ever participated in a thread here was last year, when we cautioned users that batteries mounted inside of cars need to be properly-vented to the outside air. That entire post was deleted, which is unfortunate, given how often I see batteries mounted incorrectly and the fact that the fumes batteries do vent in extreme situations are both toxic and flammable.

Jim McIlvaine

I've been asked by the moderators not to say what my job title is or where I work.

:thumbs: good post mate. Understand where you're coming from now.

May have to check out these cool cars you speak of. ;)