The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Met Police, Cover up or incompetence?

Andrew

For some that may or may not know I was involved in an accident last month.

I was hit by a person’s car that does a certain advert for a certain insurance company.

This person was pissed out of his mind and fled the scene of the accident before the police arrived.

Police took my details and the registration of his car, which I had written down.

Reported it to my insurance and they managed to track his insurance down, bloke admitted liability and now my car is being fixed at his insurance’s expense to the tune of £5000 (so far).

I am also suing him for damages to my back and neck.

This was one month ago.

Received a letter from the Met Police this morning.

With reference to the above collision in which you were involved.

Enquires have been made to trace the driver of the other vehicle involved but without success, regrettably, Police cannot take this matter any further.

FFS, how can they not be able to trace him? The only reason I even got a reply from the Met was because I have been ringing them every week for the last 4 weeks.

I assume the insurance companies and the Met use the DVLA database to track cars?

Either they are a dopey bunch of ***** or someone’s been straightened up.

What I want to know is where’s my bung for keeping my mouth shut?? :sly:

I guess this coming out or going to court could seriously damage their massive ad campaign they are running at the moment for car insurance.

I’m tempted to turn down any compensation they offer me, just so I can drag this to the courts.

Law in this country is a joke, be fucked if I’m ever putting my hands up to a speeding ticket again.

That is criminally incompetent. I would go back to the police and say you are not satisfied with their response, pointing out that his insurance company knows who he is - and he has admitted liability. All they have to do is demand the details from the insurance company. Your insurance company's legal department should be doing this for you. Even if you are not making a claim on your own insurance.

If you still get no satisfactory response, you can ask for whatever details they do have to enable you to pursue a private prosecution. They are just being lazy/stupid/incompetent/etc.

You could even pursue a formal complaint against the investigating officer.

Don't let the bastards grind you down!:mad:

Originally posted by Andrew

For some that may or may not know I was involved in an accident last month.

I was hit by a person’s car that does a certain advert for a certain insurance company.

This person was pissed out of his mind and fled the scene of the accident before the police arrived.

Jeez, Im sorry to read this is still not been resolved mate. Is there any chance that you can get a solicitor involved?

And I may have misread this, but were you actually hit by the guy who does the insurance advert??? And he was pissed?!?!? 'kinell that is mad.

Originally posted by Andrew

I'll pursue it to the bitter end.

No bastard fucks up my Supra and gets away with it :devil:

Just amazes how casual they are about it.

They just don't give a toss, because there's nothing in it for them. Now if you had been 1mph over the speed limit, it would be a very different story.

Originally posted by paulfurn

And I may have misread this, but were you actually hit by the guy who does the insurance advert??? And he was pissed?!?!? 'kinell that is mad.

Unfortunatly he doesn't do a car Ad for them, that would be hilarious. He does an Ad for equity release, same company.

They are running loads of ads at the moment for car insurance, can't mention it here, as I wouldn't want to get people in trouble ;)

I'll blow the whistle once it's all sorted legally :innocent:

Solicitors are involved at the moment, just a very slow process.

Originally posted by Rob

Bugger, I was about to post

"Calm down Andrew, it's a commercial"

Not him then! The only equity release thing I can think of is Carol Vordermann.

Come on, give us a clue.

I thought it was him too!! If it was then it would make sense cause he's well in with plod, something to do with those memorials when one of them gets killed.

Paul

mate, i hear what you're saying but at least your insurance are going to sort out your claim.

i had this issue with an illegal immigrant a few weeks ago where he wrote off my daily runabout and did a runner. the cops didnt care and the address and mobi number the guy gave me was fake. cops phoned me 2 weeks later and told me this. they said they would make a few more enquiries and get back to me.

because they dont know who did it, they cant find out whether he was insured so it would come out of my insurance.

they have the details and reg of the car but have so far not followed into this and when i asked them about it, they said they would find out but if they were to take any form of action against the previous owner, that would be left to the dvla.... i.e they are going to push off any hard/ leg work to the dvla as they are only good for issuing on the spot fines and none of the hard stuff :twak:

nothing more that you can expect from them really, unless they were screwing you over... then it would be pants down and here they come :eek:

Originally posted by Rob

Bugger, I was about to post

"Calm down Andrew, it's a commercial"

Not him then! The only equity release thing I can think of is Carol Vordermann.

Come on, give us a clue.

Neither of those :D

If you saw the Ad which can be found on the internet, you wouldn't even know who he is, I didn't. Showing it to the old folks it was "Yeah I know him, it's err you know thingy."

Andrew.. its probably down to the company not giving the name out, or people covering up deliberately. Funny how its an insurance company who must know all the tricks huh

Funny you should say that, when I said to a member of my insurnace's legal team that I knew who it was, she said, "Yeah so do I but I can't say." At the time she had his insurance on the other phone trying to arrange a car for me.

As Sakura said I take it it's my legal right to get the details about the 3rd party from them?

Your solicitor may well get the details from the Police, but you might not.

If you are in any way unhappy with the service provided by the Police,you must follow the complaints procedure provided for you.

Go to the Headquarters of the force concerned and ask to speak to the duty Inspector. Make an official complaint via him. If, after an investigation, you still get no joy, you can still take it further. I'll have to look that one up though.

Good luck.

HTH

Turns out it they had mistaken a “T” for a “J” :stupid: Even after I had written it down for them, gave the reg to the second copper and even gave it over the phone to the controller.

Had an interesting conversation with the copper dealing with the incident. Basically she reckoned there isn't alot they will do him for, as they can only get him on driving away from an accident.

She said most get a standard £200 fine and 3-6 points.

Some come out with cock n' ball stories like they were rushing home as their wife was sick and needed rushing to the hospital, all that old bollocks, and get away with it.

I have 6 months in which to decide on whether I want to take it further.

She advised me to speak to the independant witness and make sure he's on my side or wants to appear in court, according to the law he can refuse, as nobody was killed or seriously hurt.

Without the witness it's his word against mine, and in those cases it never makes it to court.

And as I suspected he can also turn this back onto me, by saying I threaten him or assaulted him, as unfortunatly for me the witness left the scene before the Police arrived and before the guy did a runner :(

Could be a Police tactic to scary me off, but what she said had a ring of truth and believability in this Country today.

" calm down dear its a television commercial, I'm really a very good driver............

.......Except when I'm pissed"

Phone the Newsdesk of a few national papers!

:p

What a shame it aint Michael Winner....I cant stand that bloke.

Once someones left the scene you cant prove they had been drinking, becaus ethey will say they had a few drinks when they got home.

I had a similiar thing happen to me 10 years ago in Wokingham.

A car drove into the side of me ' he was pissed out of his brains' and told me and a mate to follow him to his house to discuss the details...I refused to do this and took his car keys off him and called the Police....the Police took two and a half hours to turn up to the High Street...turns out he was an off duty copper....sod all i could do about it....

:(

If you want to find out someones details you can write to the DVLA and if you supply the registration number and a small fee (about £3.50 I think) they will send you the name and address that the vehicle is registered under.

Could be helpful if other avenues of justice don't satisfy you :innocent:

Originally posted by Grazer

If you want to find out someones details you can write to the DVLA and if you supply the registration number and a small fee (about £3.50 I think) they will send you the name and address that the vehicle is registered under.

Could be helpful if other avenues of justice don't satisfy you :innocent:

Thanks, useful piece of info, I never knew you could do that. I looked it up on the DVLA's webpage...............

Release of another vehicle’s keeper details

You can obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of a vehicle if you can show reasonable cause for needing the information.

Members of the public will need to complete form V888. Companies should complete form VQ3 , or apply in writing (both forms are available from DVLA). You should include a fee of £2.50, the vehicle registration number of the vehicle you are requesting information on, full reason for your request and the date of event.

Send your application to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ.

Anyone got any paint stripper :innocent: