The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the longest road trip you have done in your Single Turbo Supra?

Brazil

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what is the longest road trip anybody has done in their single turbo supra? I am asking because this summer I like to drive from Lisbon to Ibiza stopping in Madrid and Valencia, hop on the Ferry to the island.

I am like to know what kind of tyres would you recommend or any preparations worth doing tot he car before making a trip of this magnitude.

Driving at average motorway speed it will take 6 hours to arrive in Madrid then another 4hrs to Valencia 'the ferry takes 3 hours to cross'.

FYI: My car is undergoing single turbo install - Syvecs 'with all available sensors + Toucan', HKS T04Z Turbo Kit, Jun Plenum, SRD Twin Electric Fan, SRD 264 exhaust Cam, 3 1/2 Exhaust, 1000cc injector 'HKS fuel system', Gilken Tripple Plate Carbon Clutch, I am hopping to be sitting at 700bhp.

Things I am concerned is:

Engine temperature due to driving long distance in the middle of Summer.

Tyre usage

Oil usage.

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about tyres? My Toyo's R888 in the rear needs changing and I only got 3k miles out of them I think..!

Is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup harder wearing but still sticky? How do they compare to Toyo's R888?

I wouldn't recommend track tyres for a long road trip!

This is the sort of thing I'd be looking at: http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/tires/passenger/sp-sport-9000/index.jsp?from=browse

10-12 hours of driving is nothing, if the car is in decent condition it should take it in its stride with ease.

Any tyres will do if they have tread.

BHP output makes no odds unless you are planning on sitting at 200mph all the way.

You worry to much dude, just make sure you use a decent mechanic for the single build that knows Supras and all will be good.

Track tyres are terrible for long periods of motorway work. Not only will you have terrible grip if it starts raining, but the tyres will pick up every last stone on the motorway and make a mess of the wheel arches.

That is the case with R888s anyway, not sure how harder compound tyres compare.

10-12 hours of driving is nothing, if the car is in decent condition it should take it in its stride with ease.

BHP output makes no odds unless you are planning on sitting at 200mph all the way.

You worry to much dude, just make sure you use a decent mechanic for the single build that knows Supras and all will be good.

:yeahthat:

I have done about 5 European road trips with both my Supra's and they have been fine with no issues, granted it is not a single but Jamie makes a good point above.

Though I'd recommend before you take it on such a long journey you do a 2 hour + journey just to ensure all your cooling is fine. I understand the main concern is the heat so if I were you I'd be taking breaks every 3 hours anyway not only for the Supra and ensure everything is well but to make sure you get plenty of rest along the way. If anything if I was doing a long drive like that (which I have done many a time), I'd be leaving in the middle of the night. It will be nice and cool then, plus no traffic to mess around with, I'd imagine the clutch would get pretty hot in stop start traffic, this would be my main concern.

:)

Hi Jamesy, I was hoping you dropped by..! What tyres did you have on the car? How much wear did you have?

toyo all round mate - my car is very aggressive but on a long trip like that it was effortless and easy to do. just make sure everything is tip top before you set off and dont hoooon it the whole way!

Yes you are right, I am a tad paranoid I need to have more faith its a 'Toyota Supra' after all..! I guess cruising in motor way speed shouldn't wear the tyres as much as fast road driving.

What winter tyres did you use Jamie and how would you compare to the Toyo's?

Track tyres are terrible for long periods of motorway work. Not only will you have terrible grip if it starts raining, but the tyres will pick up every last stone on the motorway and make a mess of the wheel arches.

That is the case with R888s anyway, not sure how harder compound tyres compare.

My concern is that I am going to waste R888 on highway driving, and most likely from new I will only have 1000 miles left in them after this trip if they wear like my previous ones.

:yeahthat:

I have done about 5 European road trips with both my Supra's and they have been fine with no issues, granted it is not a single but Jamie makes a good point above.

Though I'd recommend before you take it on such a long journey you do a 2 hour + journey just to ensure all your cooling is fine. I understand the main concern is the heat so if I were you I'd be taking breaks every 3 hours anyway not only for the Supra and ensure everything is well but to make sure you get plenty of rest along the way. If anything if I was doing a long drive like that (which I have done many a time), I'd be leaving in the middle of the night. It will be nice and cool then, plus no traffic to mess around with, I'd imagine the clutch would get pretty hot in stop start traffic, this would be my main concern.

:)

Thanks bud you have brought a really good point by taking off during the early hours of the morning to save driving the majority of the journey in the middle of the day when its hot. You are right about the breaks too, after 3 hours driving it wouldn't hurt anything by stopping for 30 mins to an hour. I will also be over night in Madrid and Valencia so that will break the trip up too.

First thing i'd check works 100% is the a/c :)

Yes you are so right..! Driving a bit tired and hung over and feeling hot is not cool...! lol

toyo all round mate - my car is very aggressive but on a long trip like that it was effortless and easy to do. just make sure everything is tip top before you set off and dont hoooon it the whole way!

How many miles are you getting from your R888's what is the width that you are using?

Jamie is spot on imo. If it's been built by a decent mechanic a 10 hour drive will be nothing. Anyway, there is no chance of you driving more than 4 hours in one go, those singles can be thirsty! Plus, on a motorway with a big single I'd find it hard not to stick my foot down occasionally :innocent:

Think about tyre pressures though, you don't want the 888's overheating or it will kill them quick