The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stock traction control NOT fully disabled by button?

downimpact

Just browsing and came across this:

Why is pulling the TRAC fuse beneficial over just turning it off with the switch on the center console?

Just pushing the "Trac Off" button only partially disables the Trac system. It disables the Trac throttle body and TRAC function through the ABS System (on 93.5-96 only), but not the Trac system's ignition timing retard function. Unplugging the Trac fuse eliminates both functions, as well as the 155mph speed limiter, which works through the trac system. The fuse can be found in the main fuse box on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It must be noted that removing the fuse will cause the TRAC light to stay on, but you'll get used to it.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9214

Is this true that Trac control is not completely disabled without pulling the fuse? Or should I not believe random internet postings, some of the other info on the page looked questionable.

I have seen this mentioned in the past, but I do seem to remember seeing something warning about pulling the TRAC fuse on Auto's.

Something to do with how the ECU performs gear changes and the throttle butterfly valve I think. Might be worth some further research before anyone simply pulls the Trac Fuse on an Automatic.

Mike