The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Questions about exporting the V8 Supra

straightsix

As you all know my Supra is up for sale.

I've had quite a few interested parties from overseas but have never even thought about selling the car abroad before so am in the dark!

I've been asked if the car would be suitable for Germany's roads. As far as I know, the headlamps would have to be changed (and the steering wheel would be on the wrong side! :D) but apart from that I don't know. Is anyone aware of what is required in the way of paperwork and if I would have to do anything different to sell the car this way?

I'm guessing that the buyer would be responsible for getting any checks done to obtain foreign registration.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

All I know is that other countries make it much more difficult, if not impossible to, register heavily modified cars - engine swaps, for example.

Based on this article by Dale Lomas, it doesn't seem as if there is much chance of registering a Japanese grey import with an engine swap.

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/projectrx81/projectrx8/420-how-i-put-my-uk-track-car-on-to-german-plates

How I put my UK track car on to German plates

...An example of a bad car to try and import would be a Mitsubishi Evo VIII FQ-something. This is actually a Japanese model imported to the UK and not available across Europe (it has no European type approval number). Another bad example would be ANY modified car. All modifications to a German car must be backed up by paperwork that simply doesn't exist for most UK parts, and single-part approvals for each eBay or home-made part get pricey really quickly...

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

The new engine must not have a worse emissions class then the shell has. He will have to take a full emission test(Abgasgutachten) which costs about 1100Euro and pass it. There are other regulations which apply to engine swaps and tuning but this would be all his "problem" and he could clarify everything with a willing and competent "TÜV" guy. In conclusion he COULD get the car registrated legally in germany but most of the guys are not willing to pay the price for this. Don't even know why he is asking you, there's enough forums and websites around importing and tuning cars with the rules in germany :D

There might be a way to get this registered in Germany. With a lot of money and paperwork from Toyota. (Which they possibly don't provide as the engine 2UZ was never available on the JZA80 chassis...)

It surely is impossible to be registered in my homecountry, Austria.

It was nearly impossible to get my NA registered and it was stock :)

Regards, Herbert

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbs:

I was interested myself too for my own education. When selling a car, it can help to see the buyer's side of things (costs, etc.) so you can ultimately get a feel for if the potential buyer is genuine or not.

I'd rather sell to the UK but if someone is prepared to meet the cost and have the faff of it, then I'd sell abroad - money is money and all that! ;)

There might be a way to get this registered in Germany. With a lot of money and paperwork from Toyota. (Which they possibly don't provide as the engine 2UZ was never available on the JZA80 chassis...)

It surely is impossible to be registered in my homecountry, Austria.

It was nearly impossible to get my NA registered and it was stock :)

Regards, Herbert

There won't be any need for paperwork from toyota. He will have to do the "Abgasgutachten" anyways if he wants to get the car registered in germany. If the power is somewhere in the range of the stock TT Supra then he won't have that much of a problem i think. But as i said he should ask one of the "TÜV" Guys over here in Germany for details ^^