The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lets talk turbo brace..!

Brazil

Who out there have used turbo braces?

Where have you located the braces? What size rose joints used?

If it was added after exhaust manifold cracked, how long have you had it since? Has it solved the issue?

Any links to builds, photos etc would be really helpful.

I would not over complicate things, decent manifold won't need one, maybe just brace the downpipe off the gearbox if you are worried.

I've got an HKS T4 Manifold which I thought was a quality part, but from recent reading I found that there's been quite a few out there that have cracked..!

Good point about the downpipe..!

As Jamie said, make a bracket for the dp to the gearbox like stock. If you have a recirculating wastgate pipe make sure you put a flexi in it.

I am going to mod the downpipe and exhaust manifold to have screamer pipe. Whats you guesstimate on what size Rose Joint length and size I would need? Got any in stock ;)

I am going to mod the downpipe and exhaust manifold to have screamer pipe. Whats you guesstimate on what size Rose Joint length and size I would need? Got any in stock ;)

The rose joint chris was talking about is like the 1 under my bracket, almost like a trackrodend, are you thinking flexi joint in the downpipe and or screemer.

5/16 inch rod ends are plenty big enough. 1/4" would do. I may have some used ones, I have new, but they will be NMB and very expensive, too good for this application. Phosphor bronze lined ones will be fine. If you are interested I'll look in the rod end drawer. I would pick up off the intake manifold bolts on the passenger side, and somewhere on the head on the exhaust side, maybe front engine lifter bolts at the front, and something else off the back, and make a crane like support. make sure the bonnet will close... Primary Design have some really nice flexible bellows, but they will be dear. Ebay will have some horrible mesh covered things. It's stuff like this that separates a good build from a lesser one, and makes the budget people jot down look inadequate I'm afraid. It's the small stuff that adds up.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

It's all 3", I used an old mid-pipe flange cut down to fit the D.P. and welded 4mm? angle iron to it.

The angle iron was wider on one side than needed and ground down to fit the shape of bell-housing, it fits hard up against the bottom of bell-housing which reduces twisting and gives more support, it's the simplest bracket I've needed to make for the project.

Edited by David P (see edit history)