The mkiv Supra Owners Club

time to say hello

Guest derHulk

Guest derHulk

Hi guys,

Figured it is about time I break the silence and post a quick 'Hello'.

I'm looking to embrace the Supra life come March/April as the piggy bank is about to burst and is crying out to be used for a 'sensible man-investment' :D

Hopefully I can make a few positive contributions to this wonderful forum in the future as well.

Cheers for now,

Tom

Guest derHulk

Cheers for all the welcomes.

Considering this will be my first Supra and seeing that my previous car history is full of 'momentous horse power monsters' ;) :rolleyes: ;) (read: lengthy history of little measly front wheel drive 1litre-ish stock Ford Fiestas) I'm just looking for a nice and tidy manual N/A. Budget wise I'm thinking about spending around £4K-ish so that I'll end up with a good foundation for any future tuneage :)

If your looking to upgrade the power in the future i would look to buy a 6speed n/a which might be doable with your budget that way you have a good transmission base for the future too

If you can find one that is !! I would only suggest 6 speed if you are looked for more than 550bhp otherwise go for an auto or a 5 speed. Don't get me wrong the 6 speed is a good box but it is a bit clunky, would kill your left leg in traffic and definitely not something I would want to live with everyday especially with an aftermarket clutch !!

I have a 6 speed by the way but mine is a second car so I can live with it plus it gives me bragging rights :D

Guest derHulk

Thanks for the transmission advise guys. To be honest I'm not mega fussed about 5 or 6 speed (being derHulk I'm sure with legs like tree trunks I could handle the 6spd :) ).

Just to give you an idea, I'm quite toying a bit with doing a V8 swap at some point in the future. I absolutely love the V8 rumble and can't really see myself wanting anything more than 300 - 400 bhp anyway. Besides making some oil sheik even richer I really just want a nice smooth daily driver with a bit of uuumpf. If I was going down the V8 route any advise on what to look for as a base?

Thanks for the transmission advise guys. To be honest I'm not mega fussed about 5 or 6 speed (being derHulk I'm sure with legs like tree trunks I could handle the 6spd :) ).

Just to give you an idea, I'm quite toying a bit with doing a V8 swap at some point in the future. I absolutely love the V8 rumble and can't really see myself wanting anything more than 300 - 400 bhp anyway. Besides making some oil sheik even richer I really just want a nice smooth daily driver with a bit of uuumpf. If I was going down the V8 route any advise on what to look for as a base?

This http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?273706-1994-Supra-Aerotop-4-0-V8-Updated-with-pics-and-vid

If you can find one that is !! I would only suggest 6 speed if you are looked for more than 550bhp otherwise go for an auto or a 5 speed. Don't get me wrong the 6 speed is a good box but it is a bit clunky, would kill your left leg in traffic and definitely not something I would want to live with everyday especially with an aftermarket clutch !!

I have a 6 speed by the way but mine is a second car so I can live with it plus it gives me bragging rights :D

Thats a good point tbh obviously depends on your needs/wants, my supra is an tt auto and i love it, but you know what some poeple are like they want a billion bhp :) and need the futureproofing.

Quite a few poeple ive spoken too about the gearbox have said about the getrag feeling a little bit tractor like, thing is with a six speed n/a it will/should hold its value alot better in the future too

Thats a good point tbh obviously depends on your needs/wants, my supra is an tt auto and i love it, but you know what some poeple are like they want a billion bhp :) and need the futureproofing.

Quite a few poeple ive spoken too about the gearbox have said about the getrag feeling a little bit tractor like, thing is with a six speed n/a it will/should hold its value alot better in the future too

Buy a car to enjoy it, don't worry about depreciation.

Guest derHulk
I dont worry about it personally, but some poeple do ;) just trying to give the guy a few different angles to look at.
Appreciated guys, but to be honest I'm really not that worried about the depreciation aspect. I'll loose a hell lot less money (depreciation wise) with a nice Supra than a brand new Toyobaru GT86 (which was the other option I was looking at). Man-Math alone dictates to get the Supra, Hehe.