The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra SZ-R low oil possible problems

Guest 2JZ-GE

Hey guys,

Looked over a supra SZ-R today and everything was fine except the oil was low.

The owner was honest enough to say the service was due before we saw this.

I don't wanna drop money on a car that'll need an engine rebuild or cost me an arm and a leg on top of the cost of the car, is this a common occurrence when a service is late? For the oil to be relatively low.

The mechanic (a family friend ) said everything else was fine and that's the only worrying thing.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Some additional info:

It's done 128,xxx kms, 1996 SZ-R .

It'll probably be something trivial such as a gasket or seal, however if the worst came to worst, I just sold a complete engine for £100.

If the rest of the car is good, I'd go for it, dependant on what they were asking for it of course.

Check things such as the suspension arms as they are far more expensive to replace than an engine.

Hope that helps

Nah no blue smoke and no leaks underneath.

Thanks for your input though man ! Put my mind at ease a little, I get all cars use oil but there could be an underlying problem that could cost me an arm and a leg haha

Rocker cover gasket maybe? This happened with first NA, but I couldn't see the leak from above.

They said it just needed a service there too, and being young at the time, believed them.

Won't buy another supra unless it has proven forum history now.

There "may" be something wrong with the car but the owner certainly isn't trying to cover it up as he would have filled it before you arrived.

I would put your mind at ease. Fill the car with oil and pay for a full tank of fuel and take it for a two hour test drive. If the owner wants to sell the car, this isn't a lot to ask. That said, 5 litres of oil and a full tank of fuel is more than a new engine.....lol.!!

I've told him to fill up some oil now and he's gonna take it to work and back tomorrow so if he does full it up ill see how the oil is from there and organize a compression and leak down test if I'm still not at ease

Seriously, you WILL be able to see where the oil's going if there's a problem. If it's burning it, it'll smoke. If it's going into the coolant, the coolant will be minging. If it's leaking out, you'll see it. If it's "weeping" from somewhere, it's never really gonna cause a problem, and if it was in an area that could cause a problem, it's unlikely to cost "a fortune".

If i was selling an NA and you asked me for a compression test or a leakdown test, I'd tell you to knob off to be honest. They're pretty indestructable. (unless your name's Fitz :D )

Of course!

He's not all that well equipped, a bit dodgy looking and also I hear he's quite the extortionist!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Fisher-Price-Little-People-Car-Truck-MECHANIC-Eddie-Boy-/00/$(KGrHqEOKkUE5RTWcLGgBOh8tR7!1Q~~_35.JPG

Sounds like the guy we use. His labout charges are resonable but he eats all our food so it's a false economy really.

I am trying to do work at up his end so we can keep him away from the fridge.

H.