The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How long has your W58 or R154 lasted on higher power?

JasonR24

I went GTE on the W58, and stock normally aspirated drivetrain, later on I went BPU with use of the W58, it survived the the dyno session at first but few days later it broke down, several teeth were found when draining the oil from the gearbox. It wasn't even running 1,2 bar iirc so going from my experience the w58 will last longer on stock boost from the GTE but still is an ticking timebomb on borrowed time, imo.

Considering most W58's are half *uggered to start with it's no surprise, they aren't the best torque handler on the planet. Most are noisy even in N/A format after a bit of mileage.

Killed mine while still running the NA engine.

Took it out when I did the engine swap, stripped it, replaced the damaged parts and then rebuilt it with a little modification to third gear.

It has (so far) survived four full-on track days mated to a BPU'd 1JZ with no sign of trouble.

I run a 4.3 final drive though, which would slightly reduce the torque the box has to handle while on boost.

b;3581199']Would imagine how the car is driven is a vital factor in this thread...

Bingo, I'm sure there are people who cover very little miles over a few years on a TT/W58 combo and think it's fine but I bet it's never really pushed for any length of time. I'm sure they will outlast the cars they are in as they are never really pushed.

It's luck of the draw really I've heard of W58's cope with a lot more than BPU with serious abuse.(okay it failed eventually but only after several drift/track days, which with 550+bhp and tyres at 20psi for drifting is pretty good in my book)

And as others have said, some people have managed to kill a W58 with N/A power, this is quite a badge of honor and I bet is very rare on standard power. I've had first hand experience of three different W58's all receiving lots of prolonged high rpm driving and never had even a hint of trouble with any of them.

Bingo, I'm sure there are people who cover very little miles over a few years on a TT/W58 combo and think it's fine but I bet it's never really pushed for any length of time. I'm sure they will outlast the cars they are in as they are never really pushed.

This is why I find mine interesting - my Supra is a daily driver and gets driven reasonably hard for a good percentage of it's total use! :)

To be fair mine didn't fail as a result of the torque from the engine but rather the torque from the diff due to aggressive downchanges from fourth to third.

Too much load was being put on the very badly designed third gear retaining clip and it eventually broke free of the input shaft taking all in front of it with it!

Probably the reason why a set of half used brake pads saw me through a dozen track days.:innocent: