The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Need to borrow tool to remove stock head bolts

markssupra

Hi all,

As title really, I ordered a 10MM DOUBLE HEX SOCKET, part no. SADM10E from Snap-On on 31st Dec but could be delayed another few weeks before I see it as its coming in from the US.

Has anyone got one got one I could borrow so I can get my head off, engine strip down now seems to be taking forever.

I do have a standard 10MM hex but dont fancy stripping the head bolts because of the wrong tool.

Thanks

Mark

Halfords should have a 16point socket in stock no issues :?

As per the OP's first post he is after a HEX socket(six sides). ;)

That's about the only thing that lets the halfords sets down, is they don't have any hex sockets except the impact ones, every socket I have is a hex. :D Sorry OP, not helping.

As per the OP's first post he is after a HEX socket(six sides). ;)

That's about the only thing that lets the halfords sets down, is they don't have any hex sockets except the impact ones, every socket I have is a hex. :D Sorry OP, not helping.

Apologies, I read double hex as in 6x2!

Machine mart should have a Clarke pro 6 sided hex socket no issues. That's where my 6 sides are from

Apologies, I read double hex as in 6x2!

Machine mart should have a Clarke pro 6 sided hex socket no issues. That's where my 6 sides are from

Ah well apologies Mr spikedjack, it seems this is one of the very rare occasions where a 12 pointed socket is needed.

However if you have a 6 sided socket that has the corners "cut out" in a semi-circle to allow the socket to sit on the flat of the bolt rather than the corner, then this will also be less likely to slip. Basically you are then applying the pressure to the "meat" of the bolt rather than the corners which are more likely to round.

To take the head off the NA engine I have, as it didn't matter, I had to give the ratchet a damn good kick to get them to turn. I'd have thought to be careful, you'd need a long bar for some leverage. Not that this helps you, just saying :)

You shouldn't do that to ratchets, you should use a breaker bar ;)