The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number Plates Number Plates!!!

SexySallySupra

Having just got myself my first private number plate and stickin it on my supra ive crossed the problem of getting the right size.

I have a Jap spec TT and theres a bloody hole behind on the bumper on the back...and the struggle to find the right size is pathetic.

In the end ive ended up puttin on 6.5"(which just about covers the gap in height) by 19" (cut down lenth).

What does every1 else have on the rear??

Thinking mine just looks a lil to big....but then again they dont :blink:

Most J-spec owners have a square plate. but I have a regular UK looking one, with the characters all in one row. It's rather taller than a regualr UK plate in order to cover the hole but I think it looks better than the

"IT'S AN IMPORT" style square ones.

I now have a printout from the police website that gives the guidlines for number plates , regarding the front the letters can be surprisingly small ... 64mm tall . This applies only to cars IMPORTED into the UK and ONLY if you cant mount a standard sized front plate .

Dude:flame Dev

just put mine through the mot and failed on the size of the letters, the rear letters were too small and it had a jap size plate on the front, the tester said if you get caught twice by the police they can confiscate that plate, i got new ones to get through the mot the rear plate was to big in the height and had to be cut down to fit in and the front now looks like a friggin sail ship needless to say i stuck them on top of the old plates for ease of removal after mot

My car had motorcycle size plates front and rear. The rear one had a piece of hardboard beneath it to fill the hole and was painted the colour of the car which looked bloody awful. On the recommendation of many people from here i ordered some plates from http://www.fancyplates.com. They do them made to measure. So i measured the hole and had the rear made to fill it. Photo attached.

angle.jpg

Originally posted by bammbamm

just put mine through the mot and failed on the size of the letters, the rear letters were too small and it had a jap size plate on the front, the tester said if you get caught twice by the police they can confiscate that plate, i got new ones to get through the mot the rear plate was to big in the height and had to be cut down to fit in and the front now looks like a friggin sail ship needless to say i stuck them on top of the old plates for ease of removal after mot

Then go back and ask for an appeal form dude cause you cant fail an MOT on letter size as long as they arent re-arranged , it could be as small as a mars bar and he cant fail it .

The conficating is when you re-arrange the letters to say something diff ie A51 FLY changed to AS 1 FLY !!!!

Tell your tester hes a T***R , i won a bet with the station next door about this only a while ago and search as he could it says nothing about size of plate or letters .

Trust me guys the traffic nazis told my mate whos a regular copper with a skyline to get his front plate changed to one with 64mm letters

Dude:flame Dev

Yep - got pulled over by police on this one too.

They are strict but let me off because they actually didnt realise there was an exception for imported cars and said they could not do anything if there was confusion over it.

To save being pulled over again I decided to sort it out myself.

So this is what it was:

http://www.wlnet.co.uk/images/Events/Cannonball/WL_preCBRE_UK.jpg

And this is what i had to do to conform to a UK spec car.

(Ignor the ugly bugger this the "Slightly Worn" tyres)

http://www.wlnet.co.uk/images/Events/ConeDodgers120604/car-wl5.JPG