The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is there a specific tyre that works very well when tuning on Dyno Dynamic?

Brazil

I am needing to replace my rear tyres which are Toyo's R888 295/30/19; Shockingly they only lasted only 2k miles on BPU'. :blink:

I remember reading on Jamesy's thread when he had his silver Supra that he wasted a new set of Toyo's just on the Dyno day! Therefore I am wondering if maybe there are a better set of tyres that would suit the Dyno Dynamic rollers better and it doesn't cost as much as the Toyo's.

I've been offered a pair of used Perelli P-Zero's with 5mm thread left for a good price and wonder if it would be a good idea to use these just for the dyno and then switch to Toyo's for street?

To be honest, i wouldn't use semi-slick tires on BPU, unless you do regular track days.

My Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires (semi-slick) don't last very long neither. I only have to go for these due to higher power figures .. otherwise, I would stick to road tires.

One thing though: Check the geo of your suspensions. My rears wear very fast too, but this is due to a poor alignement. It will be corrected now, and should help me to avoid killing my rear tires every 500mls like has been the last 12 months.

To be honest, i wouldn't use semi-slick tires on BPU, unless you do regular track days.

My Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires (semi-slick) don't last very long neither. I only have to go for these due to higher power figures .. otherwise, I would stick to road tires.

One thing though: Check the geo of your suspensions. My rears wear very fast too, but this is due to a poor alignement. It will be corrected now, and should help me to avoid killing my rear tires every 500mls like has been the last 12 months.

Luxluc, My car is undergoing single turbo conversion, and with all the supporting mods we are looking at making same power as you 750bhp... would the Pirelli's be up for the job, at least last the dyno?

If you want to have tyres for a dyno run, I would use street tires as the R888 tend to build up more heat on the rollers, and thus slip more. Go for the Pirelli's you got offered.

Just found out that the Pirelli's are actually 305 so they are too wide...! so I am on the look out for others....

IMO if your having to buy special tyres just for the dump run to get power figures..

A) you have too much power to use on the road let alone the dyno.

B) your useing the wrong kind of dyno :p

The reason why I am interested is because I read on Jamesy thread when he had the silver supra that he wasted brand new Toyo's R888 on the dyno when tuning his car..! Luxluc is also saying the Toyo's heat up and slip..! therefore I am thinking I could buy used street tyres just for the Dyno and then change to new Toyo's R888 for the street tuning.

I use the p-zero rosso`s on the road, they`re a very good road tyre but struggle for grip in 2nd/3rd @ 550bhp, but they hold up well on the dyno also, actually on my last mapping session ryan commented on how good they were, after an hour or so they were just warm,grab them pirellis.