The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving on pavements ?

thedirtycat

Ok this seems like an odd question and it really concerns me because day two of owning my supra i dropped off a curb outside my house and damaged my front bumper. Now recently I was pretty much forced to drive by a lorry. All the other cars drive up onto the curb and dropped back off it to get by. Luckily I had a guy that guided my past the lorry without going on the curb. Also I know when a police car or ambulance come along most people drive up onto the curb. Sometimes it might be a big piece in the middle of the road and I'm so scared I'm going to be forced up onto one at some point, My question is, is can you go up onto a big curb and get off safely as long as you have full lock on as you drop back off ?

Now it makes sense that it should be safe with full lock on but it just scares the hell out of me to think about it when I've already spent £300 plus on repairing my front bumper already.

Too many variables in the question...

Example I can easily go up & down a large kerb with no issues.

Though I am running stock body, stock suspension & 18 inch wheels.

It would all depend on how high your car is off the ground & clearence if you have body kit. ;)

If that is your car in your avatar then I am not surprised you are having problems. I have never bumped the Supra up a kerb and always look for sections that are lowered.

With roads being the way they are and traffic calming measures everywhere then damage is always likely.

H.

I can park over a curb (so long as it isn't a crazy huge one) but I won't drive up onto one, as I'll drop the bumper on it when the suspension gives. There is literally about 1mm between my bumper and the curb outside my house.

I have a top secret front though, so it rises towards the front, which lets me get away with it. If I had a doluck for example, I couldn't go anywhere near curbs.

Plus I don't want to scratch my wheels :taped:

I can park over a curb (so long as it isn't a crazy huge one) but I won't drive up onto one, as I'll drop the bumper on it when the suspension gives. There is literally about 1mm between my bumper and the curb outside my house.

I have a top secret front though, so it rises towards the front, which lets me get away with it. If I had a doluck for example, I couldn't go anywhere near curbs.

Plus I don't want to scratch my wheels :taped:

Ive just about had it with my Doluck, I cant even get in or out of half the petrol garages round here because of the slopes in and out. It drives me mad especially when I come to the end of a road and it dips before joining the new road and I have to reverse back down and take another route.

If that is your car in your avatar then I am not surprised you are having problems. I have never bumped the Supra up a kerb and always look for sections that are lowered.

With roads being the way they are and traffic calming measures everywhere then damage is always likely.

H.

Exactly this, I would rather cause an obstruction and wait than risk damage going up a kerb.

I'm in the process of developing an easy retro fit 2" raise kit for my supra (pneumatic ram between anti roll arm crank and steering rack mounts)

As I'm fed up if scraping mine I the speed humps round my way and like my lowered supra looks

I fitted a similar system to a diablo and it worked well

I'm in the process of developing an easy retro fit 2" raise kit for my supra (pneumatic ram between anti roll arm crank and steering rack mounts)

As I'm fed up if scraping mine I the speed humps round my way and like my lowered supra looks

Design a GTR one and it will sell by the 1000's

Ive just about had it with my Doluck, I cant even get in or out of half the petrol garages round here because of the slopes in and out. It drives me mad especially when I come to the end of a road and it dips before joining the new road and I have to reverse back down and take another route.

I have exactly the same problem. If the road dips down and rises back onto the next road its really bad. Its really annoying because the only place that sells vpower has a horrible exit and I have to be so careful when coming out and it means waiting for a bit gap in the traffic so I can come out slowly.

On some bits where I live its two lanes with a high curb separation the 2 lanes from the from the 2 lanes going the other way and a police car or ambulance might come down the middle and all the cars drive up onto the curb in the middle. Luckily I havent been in the situation where I have had to get up on the curb yet but just scared I'm going to be blocking an ambulance and just cant get out of the way.

The other day luckily I could only just get by this lorry. I couldn't reverse back because I have loads of cars behind me and it was a one way road.

That sounds like a good idea. There are a fair amount of roads with stupid speed bumps where I live. Also the amount of times where a friend has been telling me to take a shortcut and we turn into the road and there are some massive speed bumps and my friend says "oh yea forgot about the speed bumps".

This is a universal lift kit: http://www.ramliftpro.com/index.html

I originally looked into those but they are slow and offe small height increase and also if you have limited thread length on your Coilovers (I have secondary dumpy springs that expand my spring rate) so no space for the insert, most supras don't tend to have much thread length left spare especially when lowered to fit the insert

I've been in a situation where I was in a one way system that has 2 lanes approaching a roundabout. At peak time I was stuck in traffic and an ambulance with flashing lights and sirens came up behind. I was in the right lane with a high kerb to my right, to my left was a bus that couldn't move to its left due to a pedestrian railing. The cars behind and in front of me mounted the high kerb to the right, but I knew if I tried that I'd damage my Supra. I moved over to the right as far as I could without hitting anything but the ambulance didn't pass (I thought there was enough room but I guess he didn't want to chance it).

By this time I was sure the other drivers were looking at me thinking "stupid hairy chested medallion wearing idiot" so I saw no other alternative but to put my left indicator on and blast up the center of the 2 lanes as the sea of cars parted...with the ambulance in pursuit. As I approached the roundabout the road widens and there was enough space for me to pull over and let the ambulance past (so as not to look like one of those pricks who use emergency vehicles to jump ques). As the ambulance passed by the driver gave me a thumbs up.

So, whilst I'll try my best not to cause an obstruction (more so for emergency services) I wont drive up kerbs (unless there's an oncoming vehicle that looks like it will kill me).

Edited by Angarak (see edit history)

I'd be interested in a set if you decide to create a group buy. Think this would be awesome when tackling very high ramps.

u

I'd be interested in a set if you decide to create a group buy. Think this would be awesome when tackling very high ramps.

i should have fully working prototype made for myself in a month or two, and if im able to talk to mods to get a group buy going id happily do these

as i run fairly low (not as low as some) and even tho im about to fit an rmm poly lip which is flexable, i am just fed up of scraping the front lip on speed humps