The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I have a project thread but a few quick going single questions

scott87

Im getting the ich more and more and with job prospects starting to perk up im looking to the near future and a small single build is very appealing especially if i get the job at the mechanics ive applied for.

My question is can i use a ct20b turbo on the Supra for a small single build. I know they are a good turbo and 'safe' to 22psi but would it be suitable? Im not aiming for mega power just looking to get that extra boost.

i wouldn't use a CT20b mate, they tend to be pretty inefficient above 1.2bar and just generate more heat than anything that's why most MR2/GT4 owners go for a TD06 and as Jamie said they are also internally wastegated so you will need some serious custom downpipe work. If you are looking for a decent budget turbo look down the Holset route imo something like a HX35

i wouldn't use a CT20b mate, they tend to be pretty inefficient above 1.2bar and just generate more heat than anything that's why most MR2/GT4 owners go for a TD06 and as Jamie said they are also internally wastegated so you will need some serious custom downpipe work. If you are looking for a decent budget turbo look down the Holset route imo something like a HX35

Ok thanks :)

So if i say that currently my car is 200bhp (Not saying it is just an example) and i want to be 300hp what would be the best 'small' turbo. As i said looking for gains but not mega, also want to keep reliability and not stray from stock internals. Im also going to run the w58 box.

OH! your na. I wouldnt go NA-T, dump a TT lump in and be done with it

ah yer thats quite an important factor.

Well tt lumps are pretty pricey as far as ive seen, ive been pricing the single build and its coming in very low par the ecu. Ive managed about a grand for all the bits after reading what others have done.

ah yer thats quite an important factor.

Well tt lumps are pretty pricey as far as ive seen, ive been pricing the single build and its coming in very low par the ecu. Ive managed about a grand for all the bits after reading what others have done.

A tt lump with give you the 300bhp+ you can bpu at a later stage for 400bhp... for £2200-3000 fitted i would seriously think hard about it plus you get reliability . na-t if done incorrectly will bite you in the butt and kill your wallet.

From doing huge ammount of reading i know some people have luck with na-t builds on a budget and seriously fair play BUT there has also been na-t builds i know of which cost single on tt money!

A tt lump with give you the 300bhp+ you can bpu at a later stage for 400bhp... for £2200-3000 fitted i would seriously think hard about it plus you get reliability . na-t if done incorrectly will bite you in the butt and kill your wallet.

From doing huge ammount of reading i know some people have luck with na-t builds on a budget and seriously fair play BUT there has also been na-t builds i know of which cost single on tt money!

Well i would be doing all the fitting myself so i guess if a complete tt engine came along at the right price?!

Can the tt engine be mounted up to the w58 fine? I also read that the bottom end on a n/a engine is stronger, but that was about larger power builds.

If i were to go single though with it being a low power build the risk i would be taking is fairly small, as long as the cooling, oil and mapping was done correctly surely? But i guess it will still be true 'aftermarket' as apposed to from the factory...

Well i would be doing all the fitting myself so i guess if a complete tt engine came along at the right price?!

Can the tt engine be mounted up to the w58 fine? I also read that the bottom end on a n/a engine is stronger, but that was about larger power builds.

If i were to go single though with it being a low power build the risk i would be taking is fairly small, as long as the cooling, oil and mapping was done correctly surely? But i guess it will still be true 'aftermarket' as apposed to from the factory...

NA bottom end is no way stronger than a TT. People on here have ran 600-800bhp on a unopened tt bottom end. I personally think going na-t for less than £1k is a huge risk, alot of biggish power na-t builds use the TT pistons.

I dont normally persuade many people to go for a TT drop in but i have seen this so many times in the years i have been a member, its just the best and most simple option to take mate. I still think a TT BPU is the best setup for the road! and can be done at a resonable cost.

Dump the na and buy a tt

:yeahthat: personally unless your going for a big single high power na-t or your car is a thing of beauty (show winning stuff) i cant see why poeple dont just sell the na and buy a tt, less hassle, more reliable, probobly be worth more or easier to sell in the long run and drivetrain in the tt is better auto or manual

Dump the na and buy a tt

I like my car too much to part with it.

NA bottom end is no way stronger than a TT. People on here have ran 600-800bhp on a unopened tt bottom end. I personally think going na-t for less than £1k is a huge risk, alot of biggish power na-t builds use the TT pistons.

I dont normally persuade many people to go for a TT drop in but i have seen this so many times in the years i have been a member, its just the best and most simple option to take mate. I still think a TT BPU is the best setup for the road! and can be done at a resonable cost.

Thanks for the advice. I think its mainly because i was set on going supercharged but then changed my mind i wanted something more interesting than just dropping an engine in. The only part new i was looking to purchase new was the turbo hence why the cost was soo low. Then of course the £500 odd on top for the ecu. What would a good price be for a tt lump with wiring turbos etc etc. If it is close to £1500 then its a non brainer really, i would choose oem toyota tuned over na-t, just havent seen engines for sale par from the dodgey ebay ones.

I had an mr2 that was turbo'd, i then blew the engine so bought a turbo engine and that was fine, then a stroker kit and thats where problems came about again. So i guess i shouldn't expect it to be any different with the Supra.

:yeahthat: personally unless your going for a big single high power na-t or your car is a thing of beauty (show winning stuff) i cant see why poeple dont just sell the na and buy a tt, less hassle, more reliable, probobly be worth more or easier to sell in the long run and drivetrain in the tt is better auto or manual

I certainly dont have the money for a tt6 and dont want an auto. Hence one reason why i want to keep mine, plus i love it.

I certainly dont have the money for a tt6 and dont want an auto. Hence one reason why i want to keep mine, plus i love it.

If thats the case then go with a tt engine, most na-t supras are sub tt power anyway and can have alot of problems, you could spend a fortune on repairing a badly done na-t, where as bpu can get you upto 400/420bhp safely on the w58

You can mate the w58 upto the 2jzgte as easily as a 2jzge, a lot of people have done, it makes for a lovely quick car too with great ratios.

Thats good to know. Well that might be the plan then. To find me a tt lump, unless someone wants to swap for my na :rolleyes:

Plus you got £300-400 on mapping the car? I nearly went na-t mate and i had a show winning car BUT the cost back then were silly money for good parts. TT stock is a great starting point plus you have the choice at more power later on with bpu upgrades... 400bhp.... then you can single that..... 500,600,700,1000 maybe......... then buy a gtr.... :( then leave us!!!!

sorry had something on my mind lol.

At the end of the day its your choice, plenty of knowledge on every setup in the forum... speak to craig about na-t.

Plus you got £300-400 on mapping the car? I nearly went na-t mate and i had a show winning car BUT the cost back then were silly money for good parts. TT stock is a great starting point plus you have the choice at more power later on with bpu upgrades... 400bhp.... then you can single that..... 500,600,700,1000 maybe......... then buy a gtr.... :( then leave us!!!!

sorry had something on my mind lol.

At the end of the day its your choice, plenty of knowledge on every setup in the forum... speak to craig about na-t.

I could get it mapped for free :p But thats not the point, i can see where tt is looking better after this mini thread.....

Id love to buy a tt6 but ive seen ones that i like go for 3times more than im planning on spending modding mine. But maybe im just fussy!

As i just said im going to start tt lump looking :search:

NA-TT is awesome, just make sure you get a decent tt engine, and a clutch that can cope with the extra torque. If you have all the bits and a mate the swap between the engines can be done in a day too! Keep an eye on that NA-T thread too, It's getting quite popular now and see how hard the conversion is, what problems people run into etc. Someone mentioned the cost of repairing a badly done NA-T, even if you have to replace the engine you can get one off keron for £200 odd, rebuilding/buying another TT lump can cost a LOT of money.