The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre size question

scott87

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But i thought the largest number was the width and the 45 number was the tire wall size? I assumed on a 17" rim no matter on width a 45 profile was the same size. :blink:

So i should check i have 235/45/17 on the fronts then and select the rears accordingly.

Just red it again, I understand you post, just never new it worked like that. Thanks :-D

But i thought the largest number was the width and the 45 number was the tire wall size? I assumed on a 17" rim no matter on width a 45 profile was the same size. :blink:

So i should check i have 235/45/17 on the fronts then and select the rears accordingly.

Just red it again, I understand you post, just never new it worked like that. Thanks :-D

Nope the profile is a percentage not its height.

ok thanks.

So is it not worth paying the £5 more and getting hankooks, they are normally amazing...

If you want to save money, get on eBay for some part worns. Managed to get 2 Michelin Pilot Sports in 285/35/18 for £90 delivered with 5mm of tread left :)

If you want to save money, get on eBay for some part worns. Managed to get 2 Michelin Pilot Sports in 285/35/18 for £90 delivered with 5mm of tread left :)

Be careful Josh, there's lots of part worns that are scrap or too

old etc, the bargin you think you have just might not be.

Have you checked the date code on them and checked them inside

and out for damage.

Be careful Josh, there's lots of part worns that are scrap or too

old etc, the bargin you think you have just might not be.

Have you checked the date code on them and checked them inside

and out for damage.

Yeah, I've checked them and there's no damage, and they're in date :)

Now I've got another runaround, I'll probably get new tyres for when I put the LMs back on :)

235 45 17 front

255 40 17 rear

These are the OE tyre sizes as fitted by Toyota on the staggered 17" wheels.

In that case my car has the wrong size tyres on at the moment. would that tiny difference explain why its so tail happy or is that just a Supra?

Tail happy could be down to a number of things, not allowing for the road

conditions, your tyres are low budget rubbish, their worn out, incorrect pressures,

incorrect sizes, miss matched from one side to the other, incorrect geo, worn out

suspension bushes, loose suspension parts, worn out dampers etc etc

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Yeah, I've checked them and there's no damage, and they're in date :)

Now I've got another runaround, I'll probably get new tyres for when I put the LMs back on :)

Good news and glad you did :)

I've seen shed loads that aren't at part worn shops here in Brum and the sellers

couldn't give a toss or haven't even bothered to check them.

These are the OE tyre sizes as fitted by Toyota on the staggered 17" wheels.

Tail happy could be down to a number of things, not allowing for the road

conditions, your tyres are low budget rubbish, their worn out, incorrect pressures,

incorrect sizes, miss matched from one side to the other, incorrect geo, worn out

suspension bushes, loose suspension parts, worn out dampers etc etc

The tyres are a bit low in tread, but its a no to all the other questions, par being the wrong size. I guess i can hope for it to get a little better with new tyres. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ive heard good things about these, but never had them before. What price would 2 come in at?

I doubt you need these on an NA on the rd.

How long will these last and what are they like on cold wet roads ? i'd of thought

they need to get up to temp before they offer their superior grip so are they a wise

choice in the winter over a normal rd tyre like i have on my tt and have no issues

with

Hmmm, Im leaning towards Hankooks then. i didnt notice the Khumo are track tyres. The Hankooks have amazing reviews and were great on my MR2 so im thinking they will be good again.

I need to double check what tyres i have on the front now too!

Or as the khumo were posted about track ones how are the road version?

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/kumho/ku31/225/50/R16/V/92/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3fversion%3d2.0&tyre=11179555

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)