The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A/C Compressor

Pixelfill

Does anyone have a ballpark cost for "supplying and fitting a replacement A/C Compressor". I have heard rumours that it's an expensive job, so would appreciate a heads up.

regards

Mike

I bet brand new they would cost a small fortune if the price of a power steering pump is anything to go by. Fitting seems quite simple. Im not sure how much it would cost to get it charged up with the refrigerent though. Although you can get it in a can to refill yourself. (seen some in Halfords im sure)

Not to bad to swap over, second hand definitely cheaper. I got one for £40 I think a couple of years ago. Recharge cost me £45.

Well that's a bit different from what I'd heard. Was that from eBay, or a scrappers? Does anyone know the cost from Toyota for a new compressor?

Mike

Big money from Toyota, and not sure but they might not extra for the magnetic clutch - which makes it sound fancy but it's not. Guessing but over 500 quid new. Second hand is cheap because you're taking a punt that it's a good unit. If it's not then your system will swarf with bits of A/C pump piston and then worse, the next compressor you try will chew up also, so your system must be flushed and the swarf filter replaced (if Toyota's have one, VW's do - it's just a pipe).

When you buy one, look for one where the wheel freely moves, and with no/little corrosion. Do not buy from ebay - buy from someone on Forum maybe a trader here, and ask them to swap it if it's a dodgy one. Remember that your system needs checking for swarf BEFORE you fit the 2nd-hand unit.