The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting my TT back on the road thread

Suprash

Well it was about 3 years ago that no.5 was detected leaking 50% and the turbo's where leaking oil everywhere and was coming back down the air filter. Back then I didnt really have a clue about mechanics so I pulled her off the road and decided to start learning as I couldnt even begin to afford the costs of sorting this whilst ploughing all my spare available cash into drifting. Over that 3 years I have completely stripped and rebuilt a CA18-DET twice now and learnt enough to feel I can now tackle this car.

So over the weekend I started to pull the engine out and will completely strip down the block and rebuild it back up.

Continuing into the night, took me a full 12 hours to get it out :(

Everything was a such a bitch to undo, nothing has ever been removed before so all bolts where still from manufacture in 1998, prop bolts needed he-man behind them.

Finally coming out.

Finally she's out, first ever in her life has she been fully removed from the car :)

Started the strip down of turbos and manifolds before I get her up onto the stand.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say it like that Abz ? lol

But yes, on my own with a engine crane, under floodlight, till midnight on Sat. I spent 1/3 of the time actually getting stuff done and the other 2/3 of my time looking for tools that I kept loosing in the dark lol

Single time? :)

I will be if I keep spending all my time every evening working on cars, she keeps whinging ;) lol

But no, not single time, I couldnt afford to single this Supra what with just bought a new Holset turbo for the drifty Supra and new coil pack system to purchase and then a re-map on that ready for 2013.

This is just new piston rings, make sure head is still good, bolt back together with stock UK's and get her back on the road. The standard 350'ish or whatever I'll get out of UK stockers is more then enough for the road. The drifty Supra will be increased from 423bhp to whatever I can squeeze out of the Holset which will should be in the region of 500.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, been a bit delayed on this. Combination of snow/weather lately, also the drifty Supra is having some bits upgraded on it and also the turbo/exhaust bolts on this engine had me stumped for a few days on how to get the BLOODY things off lol.

Cant believe how much pipe work etc there is on a stock TT engine compared to what Im used to with the NA-T.

Anyway, strip down is getting there.........even if it is slower then I was hoping for :D

It dont look like I've done much but I've actually removed quite a lot lol.......I will be continuing tonight :)

Why do you say it like that Abz ? lol

But yes, on my own with a engine crane, under floodlight, till midnight on Sat. I spent 1/3 of the time actually getting stuff done and the other 2/3 of my time looking for tools that I kept loosing in the dark lol

I say that because it takes me 2 people to just change the boot strut! An you are there whipping the engine out on your own!!

I would have requested the assistant of 6 people! :D

Good work Ash!! :thumbs:

Some interesting pics here :) (Never realised yours was vvti!)

Yeah, although this is my first time with a VVT-i, I was stripping everything else other then the inlet cam because of the VVT-i, but eventually I had to do it and I was a little nervous what I might find inside lol. So I removed the main cover to find an array of funky gearing lol. At that point I called upon my mechanic neighbour to come and look over things and we started to remove the gearing, then frantically pushed it all back in and decided to search the web lol, we then came across a thread where it said "DO NOT REMOVE THE 5 BOLTS THAT HOLD THE COVER ON" - Feck, we thought, but turns out everything is keyed and the cover has a tooth missing on it that will allow everything to go back together in a certain/specific order :D

It's a talent I have for things I'm interested in, but in this case I'll have to own up... it's visible in practically all the engine pictures you posted up earlier in the thread :D

Hahahahaha :D The classic photo evidence lol

I only presumed that because I do remember us having a discussion about that exact FSE, way back in......*eek*, well it was a few years ago to say the least :)