The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is there a way to stop wheels scrubing on the arch

DodgyRog

I know I can get Coilovers and adjust the stiffness and ride height, which I have the intention of doing

What I want to know really though, is there a way of cheating in the meantime

I have the possibility of some nice rims, but I am running stock billies and I am fairly sure they are going to scrub over the bumps, especially on the back under power

I can not risk it scrubing as Veilside over fenders are only fibreglass, so won't withstand it for long

I have in my head that back in the day people used to but blocks in the springs, is this correct, would it do what I need it to or is it an option for a while

Just trying to see if there is a way I can get away with it, as the rims would mean me having to swap mine, so would need a quick fix if there is one

It not really a matter of the size

When the Supra is fully loaded, such as the Dragoball for instance(luggage, 2adults, full tank of fuel) then the wheel goes up inside the arche, so if I try and bring a wheel towards the outer edge of the Veilside overfender, which slopes in gradually, I am confident on the present suspension it will scrub badly

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

i have the same problem, if i hit a bump in the road then my wheel hits my arch and i smell rubber :(

bc racing coilovers , would it be possible to turn the spring platforms to tighten the sprigs ?this would work wouldnt it

edit, just re-read you have stock still

I would rather lift mine up then stiffen anything up just to keep the traction optimal. BC coilovers would do the trick not too expensive either.

Did you cut your inner arch ash?

yeah mate i cut that out mate but there is a lip on the ridox arch, i was tempted to cut this out because its like an inch and a quarter wide but with how thin these arches are i didnt know if it would effect it in any way or weaken it any more or loose its shape?

cant you change the springs to a slightly higher one mate, a few mm's higher?

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

yeah mate i cut that out mate but there is a lip on the ridox arch, i was tempted to cut this out because its like an inch and a quarter wide but with how thin these arches are i didnt know if it would effect it in any way or weaken it any more or loose its shape?

cant you change the springs to a slightly higher one mate, a few mm's higher?

Oh right yeah I would leave the lip on. I could just cut away some more of the stock arch and fibre glass the skins together and it should give it enough clearance. Its just a pain as its alot harder to get to now and risk damaging the overfender. If it still rubs i'll just raise it up a bit but I like the ride nice and soft especially with the roads round here.

I have/had the same issue when I went big brakes because I had to put H&R 5mm spacers on the front. So to match I put them on the rear.

I scrapped every time I drove over a speed bump or when you get those big dips on bypasses etc.

So I rolled the arches myself with an arch roller (funny enough) and put my BC shock on full stiff all around.

It has helped and reduced it ALOT but the problem isn't 100% fixed

Yeah my arch is cut away, but as you can see in this pic from the Dragonball, my wheel goes way up inside, will go further under acceleration as well

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/DodgyRogSupra/DSC_37471.jpg

How much did you cut away? I cut about 30mm off mine all round but didnt realise how far up the wheel likes to go under acceleration so they still rub. I suppose its the cost of having the car so low lol. Im not happy with it so I migt just raise the whole car 25mm just to keep it fully functional regardless of what it looks like. Its a little low for my liking anyway I cant drive anywhere without something scraping.