The mkiv Supra Owners Club

800BHP 650Ft/Lbs Clutch advice!

Slutters

Hi guys

Got most of the parts for the single now, just need a clutch.... Any recommendations? Had an Exeddy paddle clutch on my R34 and it was quite heavy... :gayfight:

I have a question, i have been looking at:

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-clutches-flywheels-rps-p-6044.html

Is this a special flywheel for this clutch? I mean could you use the standard flywheel?

Anyone got any other clutch recommendations? As a side note, i am only going for 650-700HP, just like to over spec slightly to give the clutch an easier time.

Thanks

Hi guys

Gone for a Spec Twin CC Clutch, read a few reviews and a few horror stories but been chatting with a guy from the States and uses it for drag racing who recomended it so i am going to give it a go rated for 900ft/lbs to 1200ft/lbs! So at least i have some headroom if i upgrade....

Anyway, will update my project when i fit it! :D

Hi guys

Gone for a Spec Twin CC Clutch, read a few reviews and a few horror stories but been chatting with a guy from the States and uses it for drag racing who recomended it so i am going to give it a go rated for 900ft/lbs to 1200ft/lbs! So at least i have some headroom if i upgrade....

Anyway, will update my project when i fit it! :D

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/techarticles/sstp_1104_kw_suspensions_variant_coilovers/36165471++w791/sstp_1104_04_o+spec_clutch+super_twin_clutch_kit.jpg

Have you bought it yet as I'm the uk distributor for these so can do you a cracking price...

Paul, what are your opinions on these clutch kits comparing them to the Competition ones?

Apologies to OP for being a little off topic.

No probs :D

From my research they are good, not great for doing full bore standing starts as the friction material can become detached with the heat. The early versions also suffered with Slave cylinder issues, it replaces the standard pull type clutch and uses a push type Salve mounted onto the gearbox bell housing. The issues with the early slaves was the anodized costing coming of and making the fluid contaminated and causing the o-rings to leak. Some people had issues getting the clutch to full disengage, which was cured by using a bigger Master cylinder. My kit comes with a Tilton Master 3/4" in case i have any issues. However, many people had no issues... The other important thing is making sure the slave is bolted up with an equal gap around the input shaft so not to load the fingers incorrectly.

Supposed to have very good feel with no chatter, but i will let you know when i get mine on.

The issue with some of the single plate clutches are that they require massive clamping forces to stop it from slipping due to the single plate. This puts a huge load on the crank bearings and can cause crank walk. They also become on/off and hard to slip due to some not having any damping springs on the plate.

Paul, what are your opinions on these clutch kits comparing them to the Competition ones?

Apologies to OP for being a little off topic.

They are very good by all accounts, everyone seems to be very happy with them so far, I haven't tried any of the twin plates out yet though, I no longer sell the Competition Clutch clutches.

No probs :D

From my research they are good, not great for doing full bore standing starts as the friction material can become detached with the heat. The early versions also suffered with Slave cylinder issues, it replaces the standard pull type clutch and uses a push type Salve mounted onto the gearbox bell housing. The issues with the early slaves was the anodized costing coming of and making the fluid contaminated and causing the o-rings to leak. Some people had issues getting the clutch to full disengage, which was cured by using a bigger Master cylinder. My kit comes with a Tilton Master 3/4" in case i have any issues. However, many people had no issues... The other important thing is making sure the slave is bolted up with an equal gap around the input shaft so not to load the fingers incorrectly.

Supposed to have very good feel with no chatter, but i will let you know when i get mine on.

The issue with some of the single plate clutches are that they require massive clamping forces to stop it from slipping due to the single plate. This puts a huge load on the crank bearings and can cause crank walk. They also become on/off and hard to slip due to some not having any damping springs on the plate.

Awesome information fella, thanks for that..

They are very good by all accounts, everyone seems to be very happy with them so far, I haven't tried any of the twin plates out yet though, I no longer sell the Competition Clutch clutches.

Good new Paul.. As you know, I will be in touch soon. I'm just still considering which turbo to go for..