The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What a mess.

Guest Dcowan1991

Guest Dcowan1991

Where to start.. I have now ran into a massive problem concerning the supra. Last Wednesday I hit a pot hole and a chunk of tarmac came up and destroyed my side skirt. 314507_10151164379686205_999501917_n.jpg

I went straight to the council after taking loads of photos of my car plus the pot hole. And by pure chance it was right outside a police mans house who saw the whole thing. Since that moment everything has been going down hill. I phone my insurance company to have the car fixed (i wouldnt have but i needed a car and this was the only way to get one as im only 21 and can not hire a car). On the first phone call of the claim i asked on 2 different occasions if i could get a courtesy car as it is an import usually they dont but the guy said yes.. twice. So as i was waiting for the car to be taken away i phoned the garage to find out what time they were getting here to take the car away and the response i got was "soon but you are not getting a courtesy car as its an import". so back to the insurance company i go. They reviewed the recorded phone call and said they would hire a car out for me as they misled me and that my car would be repaired as the estimate was only £1200. Problem 1 solved and im happy.

Now it gets really frustrating. A week later (yesterday) I phone the insurance company to find out what is happening with my car as i knew the garage was shut for the new year until yesterday. At that they decided to tell me that they wouldnt fix the car now as the engineer from them said my side skirt was a modification which i hadnt declared. Im under the impression that this side skirt is an optional extra from the factory.. 617186_10151115093771205_768643850_o.jpg. So after many times of being put on hold it was final, the car was not going to be repaired by them but they would offer me cash on lieu. I wasnt all that happy with this but i was left with no choice. I then asked for my car to be returned and was then told i would have to pay the £60 myself because the insurance company wouldnt cover it. Problem 2 was solved by me asking someone to drive me 45 minutes to pick the car up.

Upon return i phone the insurance company to express my feelings on the matter and to agree for the cash on lieu. So we go into a 3 way conference call with the DVLA to confirm my licence and at that check for points on my licence. The woman from DVLA told her i have 3 points for speeding and that obviously didnt bother me. Until the insurance woman said she had no record of this. I had specifically told the person on the phone to make sure my points were on my insurance just incase something like this happened and that it wouldnt be a problem in the future. This is now being reviewed and i wont find out the outcome until monday. My fear now is that they will put such a high increase on my premium it will become unaffordable. So all day today i have been thinking about what i should and the only thing i can think of is sell the supra and buy a more affordable car. It is a sad moment for me but such is life unfortunatly.

So i decided to phone the insurance to get a few qoutes on a few different cars WITH POINTS ON IT and the woman says "we cant give you qoutes or do anything with your policy until monday". I am a patient guy but this is now wearing thin. I asked to speak to a manager and she said the same thing which i expected. So i asked what would happen if i cancelled and her reply was that i would not get a refund. I have only had this policy for 2 months and it was £1200. If i cancel i wont get a penny as I have made a claim with no 3rd party. The 3rd party is the council but until I get compensation from them for not fixing that pot hole, the fault is still mine.

So moral of the story is im looking to sell the supra (the damage is just the side skirt, unfortunatly it was an original plastic one which i believe is very expensive to replace) I have sourced a direct replacement for roughly £60 unpainted but it is fibreglass. That doesnt bother me all too much. I am looking to sell the supra on here as well as other website but I didnt get my membership as i sent a cheque and have heard nothing since (this doesnt bother me) If anyone can help with the selling of this car i would appreciate it incredibly.

Sorry for the rant and sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Thanks you for reading.

Dom

Edited by Dcowan1991 (see edit history)

Ok then. Am I reading this right?

A week ago you hit a pothole, you found out that insurance companies are bastards and now you want to sell the car because of £300 of damage?

Firstly, you are going to have fun getting some compensation out of the council but that is another matter. Why not just repair the car at your own cost, drive the car and enjoy it. Stand up to the insurance company and tell them that you have stated your 3 points when you started the policy. I am assuming this was done on line or over the phone which would have been recorded?

Start a claim against the council and eventually you will be straight. Don't rob yourself of owning a great car because people, (councils and insurance companies) are aresholes..!!

It's not yours or the cars fault is it?

H.

Guest Dcowan1991

It really is a case of me throwing my toys down. Im just fed up. Its been a roller coaster from the minute i hit that pot hole. I will see what happens on monday and decide then whats gonna happen. Thanks

So, the insurance company got told about your points yet had no record of it, you also sent a cheque for membership but the club didn't get it, now you want to sell the car on here and can't as you have no record of having membership........Mmmmmm ;) :Popcorn:

Oh and another thing.....your skirts are OEM. Whether they were factory fitted or not is another argument. I would have argued with them about the skirt as it is not obviously an aftermarket item that has been added to the car.

I don't think I mentioned my skirts and spats to my insurance for the same reason. I have declared after market wheels and exhaust and that is it.

If they are going to pay you in leiu, I am assuming that their "approved" repair company won't fancy doing a car of this age and will struggle to get parts unless they are members of forums. Either that or they don't have any hire cars left.

Guest Dcowan1991

Paul.. Like is said.. everything is going downhill lol.. Yeh havard i argued my point and said it would take them all of 3 minutes to find out that they are an optional extra but they were having none of it. The garage even said that it would of been easy to fix and that they had sourced the genuine parts. It was the engineer from the insurance that claimed they were aftermarket. My only assumption is they obviously dont want to pay out. Insurance is a bloody waste of time. cheers

Go to your nearest friendly Toyota dealer with your Supra and ask them to put in writing that the Skirts are a Factory option, thats the skirt problem solved

The Insurance company are trying to get out of it, as there repairer can't replace the skirt, as they are near impossible to get new now, especially as they would of just called Mr.T

The repairer would of then told the insurance Toyota don't do the sideskirts and some dumdum in a call centre took that to mean Toyota never did the sideskirts

Go to Toyota, get written proof of the sideskirts being OEM and then ring the insurance saying what you have done

To be honest if it was just the sideskirt that was damaged, at 21 you are mad trying to claim, you could still drive the car without the sideskirt anyway

but that doesn't give the Insurance company the write to treat you poorly, if you took the Insurance out on the phone, the call has to be recorded and they can pull the call up nearly instantly and listen back to check on the points issue. If you told them, they are up the creek without a paddle, but if you didn't you won't be able to claim anything and you may get a mark against your name for uture policies as well I am afraid

Paul.. Like is said.. everything is going downhill lol.. Yeh havard i argued my point and said it would take them all of 3 minutes to find out that they are an optional extra but they were having none of it. The garage even said that it would of been easy to fix and that they had sourced the genuine parts. It was the engineer from the insurance that claimed they were aftermarket. My only assumption is they obviously dont want to pay out. Insurance is a bloody waste of time. cheers

True, the insurance will do ANYTHING to get out of a claim or at least cushion the blow. Be firm with them, use trading standards and the FSA as leverage. They have taken your money for a service "insurance cover". Now you need to make a claim they are saying that THEIR records are not correct. Surely they can easily prove if you gave them the correct information or not, the customer is always right.

Do not let them dictate to you the situation. Your skirts are factory fitted as far as you know and refer them to this forum. I would ask to speak to the engineer directly and find out how much he knows about Jap imports.

Finally have a Lemsip, crack one off and pay your membership to the forum.

H.

Sorry you posted this while I was typing, I would love to know were the garage got original new sideskirts from

Guest Dcowan1991

Worthy advice Dodgyrog cheers. The reason why i went through the insurance was for A. I couldnt have driven that with out potentially causing more damage and B. I really wanted to get a plastic replacement to keep the cars value. As it turns out i need to now go cheap and buy a fibreglass replacement which is currently in the process of being bought. I never even thought of going to toyota, I will be doing that tomorrow first thing, thanks.

Worthy advice Dodgyrog cheers. The reason why i went through the insurance was for A. I couldnt have driven that with out potentially causing more damage and B. I really wanted to get a plastic replacement to keep the cars value. As it turns out i need to now go cheap and buy a fibreglass replacement which is currently in the process of being bought. I never even thought of going to toyota, I will be doing that tomorrow first thing, thanks.

Good luck with Toyota. Not many knowledgeable people around these days, this car ceased production in the UK 16 years ago.

Whether the skirt is plastic or fibreglass I doubt many would know. Both my cars have had them and I don't think either were genuine. This was never mentioned during the purchase or sale of the cars.

The bottom line is the insurance company are being ill linformed tossers. Point them in the right direction and let them know just how far you are going to push it. At 21 I assume they think you won't that well informed.

H.

If you want to sell your car on here, you need to pay for membership.

Who, where and when did you send the cheque to? PM me if you like.

Seems to be a case of selective hearing, same happend when applying for insurance I'll wager ;):D

If it was me, i'd just say to the insurance company "I want to keep my policy the way it is", abandon the claim through them and tell them you'll repair it yourself. This way you keep your no claims, repair the car with a Fiberglass skirt for next to nothing and enjoy it.

At your age, it'll cost a fortune for insurance on a Corsa once you declare that you've had a claim, your fault or not.

I once had a crappy old corsa nicked and rang up to enquire about making a claim. I had 11 or 12 years no claims bonus at the time. They said that if i claimed they would reduce my no claims to a third of the maximum, the maximum being 9. I would have been left with 3 years no claims bonus. I got them to do a dummy quote for the following 3 years based on the respective 3, 4 and 5 years no claims in that period and the amount i'd have to pay extra over the 3 years, even at the fixerd prices without inflation, would have been more than the car was worth.

Peter