The mkiv Supra Owners Club

think ive killed my diff :(

tkddav3

Hey guys, well....i was out in the supra last night and i might of had a female with me so we were just going for a drive. i didnt thrash the supra but i did give it some abuse and after a 2nd gear pull upto 120leptons (i did a few of these) i eased off and got back down to 30ish and heard a horrible sound!

It sounds like a knocking/clunking sort of noise, it happens more and quicker the faster you go, you can hear and feel it coming from underneath the car, middle/back of the car.

All of the gears select fine. i got it into 3rd but didnt want to go faster just incase but all gears worked as it should.

So with my powers of deduction im thinking it might be the prop is fecked as the noise sounds like it happens on a rotation and the faster you go the quicker the rotation/sound? Or could it be the diff?

Any advice would be very much appreciated guys! i havent had chance to jack it up yet and have a look. im off work sunday so ill have a look then

Help :(

Edited by tkddav3 (see edit history)

cheers for the info guys. i gonna go and jack the car up now and see what i can see! then maybe drain the diff oil. how much would a replacment diff set me back?

haha agro more than welcome mate. just dont tell her!

EDIT: ive got the car up on stands and while rotating the rear wheels, you can turn them so much before you hit resistance and there's a clunk. You can keep rotating the wheel but just have to push past the moment of resistance and then it free's. Keep going in a cycle. I've got a video of the noise do I'll chuck that up if I find out how

Edited by tkddav3 (see edit history)