The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More 'new Supra' chatter.

tbourner

I don't envy Toyotas task at all, they have some very big shoes to fill, and straight away comparisons will be drawn against the R35.

Hopefully, Toyota will resist the temptation of AWD and give us another RWD brute with one hell of an engine. Unfortunately, I suspect that a manual gearbox won't feature.

I don't envy Toyotas task at all, they have some very big shoes to fill, and straight away comparisons will be drawn against the R35.

Hopefully, Toyota will resist the temptation of AWD and give us another RWD brute with one hell of an engine. Unfortunately, I suspect that a manual gearbox won't feature.

100% agree

Double-clutch gearboxes are faster, more efficient and easier to use. In high performance guise they're also very engaging. I do love a manual car, but driving a motor with a decent DCT 'box shifted my perception somewhat.

Nothing will ever come close to your "love" for CVT though, eh? :D

In the Top Gear mag they stated the new TRD version of the GT86 (available as an option) will only have suspension and aero tweaks, no brute engine upgrades which is a tad disappointing.

Not really when you consider that the warranty stays intact with these mods. There will be brake mods too BTW :)

I fear for most roadcars, the true-manual shift is dead in the water purely because it can't compete with shift times for 0-62 or other benchmarks.

I totally agree, but find it sad that people are so hung up on numbers. There's a place for automatic and automated manual gear boxes, but there should also be a place for manual gearboxes - the sports car. The auto gearbox in the mkiv Supra is a work of art, but not everyone want an auto, which by the looks of it Toyota realised while developing the MKIV.

My main hang up on this subject is Renault - the last bastion of the 'true' hot hatch, has abandoned manual gearboxes :( No matter what you do to an auto / auto-manual gearbox, you can't replicate the clutch pedal, which is an integral part of the hot hatch experience.

Sad times indeed.

This has just come up on the Toyota Uk Facebook page

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/gazoo-racing-and-trd-tease-new-concepts

And here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?282821-More-new-Supra-chatter&p=3569532&viewfull=1#post3569532

:D

Oh yes, that rear end with the diffuser in last pic. Love it.

Really? I thought it looked horifically ugly :blink:

CVT transmission is the dream of every F1 engine designer. No mechanical dog engagement and disengagement,with crank shock loads at every change, the engine is permanently at optimum RPM and load. Williams had it about 90% sorted, then it was banned. It may make an engine sound odd, but by shifting a finite number of gears we strive, but fail, to emulate a CVT :) As auto boxes gain more and more gears, they get closer to CVT, but are still an infinite number less 6, 7 or 8 less than optimal :)