The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seatbelts not retracting properly

Guigsy

This is blooming annoying mate!! I have the same problem on drivers side and there's so much flex that if I was to hit something I would have another foot of extra belt in front of me before I hit the windshield! I bought a harness to resolve the problem and do away with seat belt! Bignum mentioned just replacing the seatbelt tensioner.

I pulled the belt all the way an let it retract a few times, seemed to help. Also a trick, if you find it slackens while driving, unclip it and clip it back in. When you unclip it the belt will retract, as it's already extended a bit and doesn't have to go all the way back in it will tighten up around you, then clip it back in to secure it.

Mine seems to have sorted itself now.

I pulled the belt all the way an let it retract a few times, seemed to help. Also a trick, if you find it slackens while driving, unclip it and clip it back in. When you unclip it the belt will retract, as it's already extended a bit and doesn't have to go all the way back in it will tighten up around you, then clip it back in to secure it.

Mine seems to have sorted itself now.

Does not work for me - long term. As soons as you unclip and clip back in, yes it tightens but with any cornering it loosens again!

The drivers side belt on mine was tired so replaced it with a new one from Mr T.

Two years ago, it was around £60.

Trouble is, it's almost as bad again already. :shrug:

I have to feed mine back in like I'm posting several letters, I agree buying new would be the way to go, have you got the part number handy?

I have to feed mine back in like I'm posting several letters, I agree buying new would be the way to go, have you got the part number handy?

Ian, I've asked Keron to get me a new one. Around £51 for the item. Worth just doing that mate as he mentioned he has to get a few.

Part numbers here in pic. I believe it's 73210 you need, although that part doesn't appear to be allocated to the tension mechanism.

Supra SeatBelts.JPG

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)