The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ins and outs of painting engine bay.

Brazil

Gents,

I am fixing to paint my engine bay and would like you advice on how to best go about it.

I am getting my car single turbo and have big after market plenum, I am only willing to wire tuck if it does not involve in making any extensions of wires.

I also like to know if you recommend to remove the fire protection material at back of the engine, i worry that it will get too hot inside the car 'cockpit'?

I like the smooth look, what is a good idea to fill?

Please include photos etc to represent ur ideas.

Is it recomendable? What would it involve? Personally I think my abs kicks in a bit early I would prefer more aggressive brakes, and I have endless brake front and rear.

Well when I tucked my loom and put my fuse box under the headlight the abs and trac wires didnt reach the connectors so I had to put it back to how it was as I wasnt prepared to extend wires etc.

Im gunno remove mine soon simply because my syvecs controls traction and I dont use abs as I rarely drive hard or in poor conditions. Plus I would like to shift some weight off the front end and prehaps put battery in the boot.

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

Traction control is to keep all the powered wheels from doing continuous wheel spins mostly when accelerating, and ABS rapidly pulses the brakes on and off to reduce lock up under braking. I don't have TC but do have ABS and mine has kicked in doing 30mph done a narrow country lane when a Land Rover appeared in my face. You don't need to be racing to need ABS. Ready to be corrected but this is how I understood the systems.

I'm also interested in how you paint the bay as it's on my soon-to-do list also.

Traction control is to keep all the powered wheels from doing continuous wheel spins mostly when accelerating, and ABS rapidly pulses the brakes on and off to reduce lock up under braking. I don't have TC but do have ABS and mine has kicked in doing 30mph done a narrow country lane when a Land Rover appeared in my face. You don't need to be racing to need ABS. Ready to be corrected but this is how I understood the systems.

I'm also interested in how you paint the bay as it's on my soon-to-do list also.

A good driver can stop quicker without abs...

• 1 month later...

I'm in the middle of a wire tuck and engine bay smoothing on the aristo right now........my advice. Don't do it !!! biggest headache I've ever undertaken but that could be because the aristo ECU was in the engine bay and are now located inside the car. Granted it should look good once done. But your car stands out enough as it is and I don't think it needs tucked or smoothed bay.

The aristo on the other hand needs something like that to get it attention as the exterior is so plain.

I'm in the middle of a wire tuck and engine bay smoothing on the aristo right now........my advice. Don't do it !!! biggest headache I've ever undertaken but that could be because the aristo ECU was in the engine bay and are now located inside the car. Granted it should look good once done. But your car stands out enough as it is and I don't think it needs tucked or smoothed bay.

The aristo on the other hand needs something like that to get it attention as the exterior is so plain.

Hodge . I honestly have no idea where you find the patience for the wire tucking. Took me 2 weeks to do the engine bay wiring alone !!! still have the engine loom to work on and the battery/starter cables too !! nightmare !

does look kinda good with no wires in there.

Just need to get a finger out and get welding now !

Edited by kwalker705 (see edit history)

Hodge . I honestly have no idea where you find the patience for the wire tucking. Took me 2 weeks to do the engine bay wiring alone !!! still have the engine loom to work on and the battery/starter cables too !! nightmare !

After you've done as many as I have, you just go into autopilot.

does look kinda good with no wires in there.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/KCRX/20130206_105909_zps1f87111c.jpg

Just need to get a finger out and get welding now !

I ended up with only tucking what I can without having to cut & extend anything for that reason..! Plus I am also scared of duffing it up..!

After you've done as many as I have, you just go into autopilot.

I think thats why i disliked it so much. I enjoyed finding where to route the wires and mount things. But the marking, cutting, extending, shortening, soldering was pretty boring. But i did find the last bit of what I've done so far went alot quicker and smoother than the initial bit of loom.

Now i just need to work out how you got your alternator cable through and into that chassis leg !!!! haha

In all honestly Louis. You might actually enjoy the tucking process. Think the supra is a lot easier that the aristo due to the ECU not being in the engine bay. And it will be well worth it. Look at hodge's , Mitchell's , and the one SRD are doing for Jay_NW just now . All absolutely stunning.

Maybe start with a small bit of wiring and see how you get on. Then carry on from there.

A good driver can stop quicker without abs...

I was going to say "utter bilge" but instead I'll ask "how?" :)

Unless you've got 4 brake pedals, one for each wheel, and are limbed like an octopus in order to use them, I'd be edging towards my original response.

In all honestly Louis. You might actually enjoy the tucking process. Think the supra is a lot easier that the aristo due to the ECU not being in the engine bay. And it will be well worth it. Look at hodge's , Mitchell's , and the one SRD are doing for Jay_NW just now . All absolutely stunning.

Maybe start with a small bit of wiring and see how you get on. Then carry on from there.

I will probably end up going the full 'hodge' once everything is place tested and tuned..! As well as the single turbo install I am in the process off getting the car booked for a complete interior re-trim, that will be my next priority.

How did you get on selling you wheels? The wheel refurbished guys wrecked my front wheels they are being sent back for the 4th time and this is the last time then they will have to assume responsibility so I could be on a look out for some new wheels. I really like the works S1 and volk wheels, I seen a few on the US ebay; where have you been looking?

I was going to say "utter bilge" but instead I'll ask "how?" :)

Unless you've got 4 brake pedals, one for each wheel, and are limbed like an octopus in order to use them, I'd be edging towards my original response.

I dont know the exact science but its been proven many times that all abs does is stops lock up under hard panic braking. There are probably videos on youtube confirming this...

I will probably end up going the full 'hodge' once everything is place tested and tuned..! As well as the single turbo install I am in the process off getting the car booked for a complete interior re-trim, that will be my next priority.

How did you get on selling you wheels? The wheel refurbished guys wrecked my front wheels they are being sent back for the 4th time

wheels sold last week and are off to a new home in finland. I've been looking at custom wheels from the states and have something in the pipeline.

what happened with your wheels ?

wheels sold last week and are off to a new home in finland. I've been looking at custom wheels from the states and have something in the pipeline.

what happened with your wheels ?

I think they skimmed too much of the lip since there is micro cracks on the lip and also have a leak on the inside outer rim, whats incredible is how they keep sending it back to me with the same faults.. as soon as I get it and before I put it on the car I take it to a tank of water put the wheel in it and see the bubbles come up..! This has been going backwards and forwards now for a year..!