The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharging

scott87

I've been looking through lots of different build online and on this forum and i've decided that this looks like the option i like the most. I am basically looking for some advice as to what is needed for the below style setup.

What parts other than the supercharger and bracket would i need. I know a piggy ecu will be required and i will need to lower the compression with a metal head gasket but would i use a intercooler or would chargecooling be the best option?

Anyway any advice would be great thanks. Also not looking for mega power, would be aiming for around 300hp.

Link to DaveP's thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233707-Project-Supracharger&highlight=charger

There is a LOT of work that goes into supercharging as Dave found out.

And from what you see on DaveP's thread, probably a fair bit of dosh too.

Think long and hard on it, it's not just a case of bolting a supercharger on, there's a lot of supporting parts involved as well.

NA-T would be a much cheaper route ;)

The whole process looks like a total ballache! Not too mention the hideous ear bleeding whineing noise superchargers make! i would seriously just by a tt they are cheap enough now, just sell your n/a and move on up

For a while I was starting to think I am the only person who cant stand a superchargers whining.

For a while I was starting to think I am the only person who cant stand a superchargers whining.

Theres got too be more surely! Its such an annoying noise and nearly constant went on throttle depending when the charger comes online, a mate of mine used too have a cooper s when i had my mini cooper and the noise was the main thing as too why i prefered having just the cooper

Unless you have a vvti or prepared to go to coil packs and lose the dizzy, that layout isnt really possible. I have a M90 and all the bracketry that will get you started with a normal ge engine if you are serious and are not scared of a bit of fabrication. Here is a thread from when I was having a play before I broke it and went TT. Have since had the broken shaft repaired and its all been sitting in my hallway for a few years now and I dont think I will ever buy another NA now to fit it to.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?123865-Supercharger-latest-pics/page2&highlight=shane+eaton

Edited by Shane
added link (see edit history)

You just need ££££££££'s my friend, then anything is possible. If you have free access to a machine shop, and the knowledge to use it efficiently, it would make a project like that altogether easier, otherwise, assuming no commercially available kit, expect it to cost FAR FAR more than a well set up single turbo conversion. You are kidding yourself if you don't take your time into the financial equation. And you will spend a vast amount of it developing a one off conversion. A VAST amount.

Rotrex kits are available for the 2JZA80-GE but they cost a fortune and there's not much space under the curve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=159860&d=1351554520

Test on same engine.

Extreme left from the top.

1. Roots

2. Whipple

3. Turbo

4. Centrifugal

I think this 1G-GZE supercharger would be the easiest to transplant onto a Supra, it’s an (M90) Toyota made Roots charger and the 1G straight 6 cylinder 2.0 litre engine is not a lot different externally to the 1J and 2J engines and from what I have read it is good for 7-8psi.

These units can be picked up in Australia for around $150AU

attachment.php?attachmentid=128744&d=1300665597

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I did 150K miles in a Merc C230 Kompressor and I never had a problem with the sound of the Eaton supercharger. You could hear it kick in (electro-magnetic clutch) at around 2000 rpm, but it wasn't intrusive.

1Gs are 2-litre. The Aussies reckon that the limit of the Aisin SC14 supercharger is around 225bhp.

The power curves posted above demonstrate why I can never see the point of centrifugal blowers - they always look like the worst of both worlds. :)

If I had the fabrication skills, I think I'd go for a TT 1UZ (or perhaps a 500bhp LS3 crate motor :)).

If I didn't, it would be a positive displacement or twin screw blower kit on a 1UZ, a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE transplant, or NA-T.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)