The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing the engine

_Shane_

my main worry was the wiring, but as some people have said you just feed the wiring loom through to the engine bay from the passenger footwell .... is it as simple as that with regards to disconnecting the loom / wiring?

Blast! Just realised that its gunno be a pita for me as the syvecs is hard wired into the engine loom somewhere in the footwell. As far as I know without an after market ecu it just unplugs and takes a bit of patients to feed it through carefully.

Blast! Just realised that its gunno be a pita for me as the syvecs is hard wired into the engine loom somewhere in the footwell. As far as I know without an after market ecu it just unplugs and takes a bit of patients to feed it through carefully.

You can unplug the engine instead of the ecu, it will take maybe another 30mins or so but would solve your problem... You can then put the loom into a bag and spray away :)

If you've got anything like a speedo converter, SAFC, piggy back ECU of aftermarket ECU getting the loom through the to the engine bay will need you to cut a resolder etc unless its a plug and play harness, tip if say is if you've never done it before take LOADS of pics from every angle of the engine bay so you know where all Vac pipes etc go and which way the loom runs etc! Once the engines out make sure you brace the gearbox with an axle stand etc to stop it tilting forward causing stress on the prop and clutch lines etc!

It's not to bad to remove a 2jz tbh, I can get them out in a couple of hours with a few tea breaks along the way, if doing it on the floor though make sure you have the car off the floor on axle stands at least as it'll help getting the gearbox bolts undone :)

I will probably leave the loom attatched to the engine when I do mine and re solder the wires that need cutting. If its as easy as it sounds I shouldnt have a problem getting it out as I have a fully mobile engine hoist on sliding gurders across the garage ceiling and a full size inspection pit for the bits underneith. Will still take me a couple of days no doubt as im not a mechanic and have little experience but its all fun I suppose :)

Its not to complicated. I think the best bit of advice would be to take your time, plan out what you are disconnecting and in what order so that when you come to re-install everything is much easier.

My technique (when working on a new engine I am unfamiliar with) is to set about 3/4 evenings after work aside. First night I will spend tagging everything with labels and taking tonnes of photos for future refference. Second evening will be disconnecting all of the electrical connections and water hoses, and making sure the engine is not connected by any wiring or hoses. This then leaves the final evening to unbolt and remove the engine.

I am sure there are some people out there who can whip a engine out of a supra in less than a hour, but for the first time it is no race. take your time and you wont need to replace any hoses, connectors or anything like that. A buddy to help is always very usefull.