The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how do i know if its a good supra?

Guest ESPzetec

Guest ESPzetec

as some of you may know, im looking at buying my uk spec supra over the next couple of months (probably after christmas now).

This leaves me enough time to find a pretty good UK SPEC car.

All I ask, is that you guys point me in the right direction and let me know how to spot a good car.

when i say good car, i mean one thats not going to go wrong.

What are the common faults on these beasts? Also if you could give me a rough price for each scenario where something goes.

Do i take it that the turbos need replacing often? seems everyone is talking about these items latley.

Originally posted by ESPzetec

Do i take it that the turbos need replacing often? seems everyone is talking about these items latley.

The turbo doesn't usually need changing. What you reading on these forums is that single turbo conversion for extra BHP and it is getting popular.

Originally posted by ESPzetec

This leaves me enough time to find a pretty good UK SPEC car.

All I ask, is that you guys point me in the right direction and let me know how to spot a good car.

when i say good car, i mean one thats not going to go wrong.

What are the common faults on these beasts? Also if you could give me a rough price for each scenario where something goes.

Uk cars obviously have seen far more salt in their lifetimes. So the Intercooler, radiator, power steering cooler pipes can all suffer and if they are the originals they will all be way past their best. Without any mod's a poor IC is not so bad (approx £400+ to replace) but the rad could easily go (approx £400). Power steering pipes can usually just be repaired cheaply.

UK cars also have a diff cooler (located in the drivers side rear brake duct intake) that could also require replacing and could even be leaking (relatively easy/cheap to fix).

There are no really common faults, the most important thing for you is to ensure the turbo's are fine. There's lots of threads about this and what to look for, and if you check thoroughly and leave the car stock then IMO you'll be

if looked after Uk cars are capable of very high mileages (2/300K+) with no major problems or renewals of ancillary parts.

look for a stock one IMO, and look at any local cars irrespective of the mileage, as a 120K mile clean example with say a new Radiator could potentially be a better car than a lower mileage but more abused one.