The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New 1jz owner

Guest Veilsidedan

Guest Veilsidedan

Hi guys hope your all ok.

My names Dan and I'm from Middlesbrough or very close to anyways, hope I don't get shot down here but I don't actually own a supra but a 1jz engine I'm transplanting into my 5 series bmw. I'm a huge jap fan and own a veilside widebodied mr2 roadster, I'm on here to learn as much as I can about the 1jz and also to hopefully acquire an r154 gearbox if anyone is happening to be breaking one. Thanks guys :)

Guest Veilsidedan

Hi mate it's an early e39 shape bmw it's going into. I have a link g4 ecu as I know them and rate them highly, going to go holset single turbo I think. Not looking at huge massive power, anything above 400 will be great for me as all I really want is m5 power but with the reliability of a jap motor.

Here is a pic of my current cars if your interested.

uploadfromtaptalk1356379959437.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1356380006359.jpg

And my pride and joy here my mr2

Guest Veilsidedan

Haha well it's the standard 1zz 1.8 motor with a 2.0 stroker kit, fully forged build, cosworth pistons, mahle rods, darton sleeved, titanium valves, springs and retainers, link g4 ecu, charge cooled with a secondary injector set up for when its on boost because its also turbo :)

Guest Veilsidedan
You mean under the boot :p

Haha yeah I guess I do lol, the frunk as its known which the front storage area now doesn't exist due to a twin radiator set up, battery moved to front and a v8 water pump to move water from radiator to charge cooler in the rear :)

Guest Veilsidedan

Very true they don't. But I can't beat getting into my armchair of a 5 series after driving it. Just can't wait until its got some decent power with the 1j in there.

Any ideas why I can't post up a wanted ad? Is there a minimum posting or something? Couldn't find a stickie to explain it from a mod that's all :)

Very true they don't. But I can't beat getting into my armchair of a 5 series after driving it. Just can't wait until its got some decent power with the 1j in there.

Any ideas why I can't post up a wanted ad? Is there a minimum posting or something? Couldn't find a stickie to explain it from a mod that's all :)

You have to be a fully paid up member. Best £10 you'll ever spend mate.

Welcome by the way, loving the MR2.

Guest Veilsidedan
What a waste of a 1JZ

Aww why is it a waste? I've saved a beautiful engine from a car that was one rust patch away from looking like a deep sea wreckage from years ago. Plus it's going in a car that's lighter than a supra too :p afterall doesn't supra mean whale? Lol

Guest Veilsidedan
You have to be a fully paid up member. Best £10 you'll ever spend mate.

Welcome by the way, loving the MR2.

Oh right I will get on to that straight away then, really want some bling bits on it too, lad local to me known as shiney bits has a lovely supra, some of you may know him.

Aww why is it a waste? I've saved a beautiful engine from a car that was one rust patch away from looking like a deep sea wreckage from years ago

Ive never seen a Soarer or Chaser etc with rust. Just seems like a huge job when you could just as easily turbo an M50 or something. Anyway, good luck.

Guest Veilsidedan

It's much more difficult to turbo a bmw motor for nowhere near the power the jz motors can produce, it's probably one of the easiest swaps you can do to be honest. It's almost like the engine was designed for the bmw, the gear stick fits in the standard hole with r154 gearbox perfectly, the prop is perfect in length etc. I've done the whole turning an n.a. car into a turbo car etc and it's a chew on. Starting with a turbo engine is going to be much easier. I have yet to find a bmw m series motor with the power the Toyota can take. Sorry if it's not your cup of tea of course but the cost of this conversion compared to getting the same power from an m50 is just leagues apart.