The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jun Stroker Kit question...

TwoJayZeeTRD

:) Hello guys,

New member here, I have an offer to buy a brand new, never used, Jun 3.2 Stroker Kit for quite a bargain price and I wondered, what are your opinions about it? I know the pistons are made by Cosworth, but what about the rods? Saw they are I-Beams instead of H-Beams, what would you say about that reliability-wise and around what HP they can hold? I know this kit was used on their record breaking Supra at Bonneville which did a little over 400km/h running two mahoosive Trust T78's, so I guess the kit is pretty bullet-proof. Also what can it safely rev to? Anyone here using one and got opinions on it, it would be very appreciated to share some info/advice on it, thank you very much in advance!

Cheers.

As I said it's brand new, and the "bargain price" is almost half of what these cost retail, so I should probably shoot for it before someone steals it off me, haha. I also have a set of high lift Jun 272 cams so they will go quite nicely with the stroker and a built head. I'm almost pulling the trigger on this...

Also thanks for the welcome! :)

As long as the parts ARE unused and in mint condition, go for it.

Reliability, that is something you would not have to mention/ ask about JUN, one of the best out there, no questions asked.

Here here. Made by cosworth says it all really. I don't know about the rods.

Be very selective on the builder as I have seen many expensive striker builds fail as its very difficult to get them right.

Might be worth searching for stroker build threads on here

I'd talk to somebody that has fitted the kit, Robbie on this forum had one for a short while iirc, I think he had issues with the car though and went back to a stock engine.

The name cosworth does not mean it will be faultless, there version 1 GTR pistons are terrible and they stopped making them, serious piston slap with them, the latest ones are fine I hear.

I always thought H beams were stronger than I beams but it depends on what alloy is used I suppose. I would keep the revs to 8.5k maximum for saftey whether your running bpu or 1000+ hp as its supprising how much more force an extra few mm of stroke can put on the rods at higher rpm. Having said that its just my opinion im not really an expert on this.

Go for it anyway! And welcome to the club :)

Hey, thanks very much for the answers mates! :)

I've never really heard about problems with the kit and I've seen quite some people run them, especially in Japan. I've got a pretty experienced guy with building a lot of cars, cars stuff, etc, including stroker kits on Supras (have installed some HKS 3.4 Strokers before). As I said I also have JUN 272 cams (the high lift version) and I also plan on the all of the rest valvetrain to upgrade again JUN parts (you could tell I am a big fan of theirs, lol). Will get the head ported and polished too. I am aiming for around 700 to 800whp on pump gas with water&meth kit. Hope this turns out pretty well. Will update later with planned parts for the car.

Cheers, chaps.

If you keep the revs sensible you will get a good deal more torque and an earlier spool, on a given turbo size. You can perhaps run wilder cams yet maintain some low end power. What you shouldn't do is rev it high, as piston speeds will be pretty serious. More of a torque monster than a revver, that's for sure. Check with JUN if the block needs clearancing, and what bearings it should run.