The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powder coating cam covers-queries

listy

I have a few questions regarding the title.

1. If I simply take them off and cover the engine, then put them back on once painted, is there a chance I could mess something up? Or should it be ok?

2. How long would you expect to have to wait for them to be finished?

3. Anyone know of anywhere in the Bristol/south Wales area that can do this?

TIA

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I have a few questions regarding the title.

1. If I simply take them off and cover the engine, then put them back on once painted, is there a chance I could mess something up? Or should it be ok?

2. How long would you expect to have to wait for them to be finished?

3. Anyone know of anywhere in the Bristol/south Wales area that can do this?

TIA

1- you will have to strip out the covers to stop any crap getting in the covers, then refit it all after they are done. Bit of a pita job. oh and dont over tighten the covers! i learnt the hard way and cracked one of mine!! oops.

2- prob only take couple of days

3- dont know!

Just take them off and paint them yourself dude ;)

I would, but want them to have a perfect finish, and I've only ever sprayed plastic parts. I have no idea in the process for metal parts. Plus not sure what to use, I hear calliper paint is a viable option, but I'd rather spray them.

As I'm saving for new seats, and have a few larger top secret projects lined up for the interior that may end up costing me a fair bit, I'm looking at bits I can do to spruce up the bay, as the exterior is done.

If I was you I would just use hammerite spray paint. It will leave a nice smooth finish.

Although I polished mine myself I don't know if that's an option for you?

They were polished previously, but I will be going white and carbon in the bay. Plus, it breaks me having to clean them all the time as I have a vented bonnet lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah alloy mate. I wouldn't of thought it would flake if you key them correctly

Would you need to key them for Hammerite?

Would you need to key them for Hammerite? Quote

It says on the tin it can go on anything straight away. Just dont let a dog pee up them

Lol just making sure. I know Hammerite is straight to metal paint, but better to ask than not, then to find out later it would have turned out better with a key.

Lol just making sure. I know Hammerite is straight to metal paint, but better to ask than not, then to find out later it would have turned out better with a key.

Im no Hammerite expert but for a decent guarantee smooth finish just drop them off at a bodyshop mate. Wait till they get a white car in and get them to do them as private/on the side job! only cost you about £40-50

Speak to Ibrar if you want them powder coated ;)

I don't really want to have to send them off tbh. The supra is my daily, so if I could drop them off and pick them up next day would be better really. (Obviously not in the supra ;))

- - - Updated - - -

Im no Hammerite expert but for a decent guarantee smooth finish just drop them off at a bodyshop mate. Wait till they get a white car in and get them to do them as private/on the side job! only cost you about £40-50

I know the shop that did my car has some paint left, but they are more accident repair than anything else.

What about a diy job you can cover them in pva glue and throw glitter over them, or if gliiters not your thing you can use dried pasta but not sure if you have to rub them down first as ive never used pasta myself.....

Great input! :p

I prefer stickers myself. Makes less mess ;)