The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Sensors

scott87

I'm not personally a massive fan of having loads of dials in the car but i'd like 1 or 2 to give me a bit more information about whats going on under the car. Im currently running an n/a but this is likely to change in the future. Just wondering what sensors people are running if anyone else has already done this? I was thinking the obvious air intake and oil temp, unless someone has better suggestions. :)

These are nice gauges, ive got the dual, oil pressure/temp, water temp/fuel pressure,

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/%28S%28nbigrzeguicl05pdn3sfjvcy%29%29/design/digitalgauges/default.aspx

Wow they are nice but mega expensive!

I was thinking of something more simple like theses for intake tamp as i was going to mount into the dash:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-CHARGE-INTERCOOLER-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-INC-SENSOR-UNIVERSAL-BRAND-NEW-TURBO-/140898763865?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ce388459

How do you plumb in a gauge for oil temp/pressure and what do you need to do it?

- - - Updated - - -

Boost, oil pressure and water temp are most important IMO.

Is water temp not the standard temp on the dash?

The water temp gauge is NOT accurate on a Supra.

The temp gauge goes to its normal running temp and will not move again until the car reaches 135 degrees. At this point it's too late and your head gasket is probably goosed. Toyota do this so there cars seem a lot more reliable than they are.

The water temp gauge is NOT accurate on a Supra.

The temp gauge goes to its normal running temp and will not move again until the car reaches 135 degrees. At this point it's too late and your head gasket is probably goosed. Toyota do this so there cars seem a lot more reliable than they are.

Ok thats good to know thanks :) I will have a look at getting one of these asap then, which hose do you splice to put the sensor in?

I was thinking of something more simple like theses for intake tamp as i was going to mount into the dash:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-CHARGE-INTERCOOLER-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-INC-SENSOR-UNIVERSAL-BRAND-NEW-TURBO-/140898763865?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ce388459

- - - Updated - - -

NICE!

- - - Updated - - -

NICE!

Not that specific one, but I want a rectangle one, Then then i want the oil pressure/temp one to be in the clock location so i dont need pod holders etc.

I removed the stock gauge sensor (single wire sensor in top water elbow) and replaced it. There both were 1/8npt.

Brill thanks. Can you splice the cable so that the original gauge works as well as the after market one?

Looking at these as they look quite nice, just like the Autogauge i have in the MR2, and are a good price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smoked-Water-Temp-Temperature-gauge-1-8npt-Sensor-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-Turbo-/170961956710?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ce206f66

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

Brill thanks. Can you splice the cable so that the original gauge works as well as the after market one?

Looking at these as they look quite nice, just like the Autogauge i have in the MR2, and are a good price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smoked-Water-Temp-Temperature-gauge-1-8npt-Sensor-Subaru-Impreza-Legacy-Turbo-/170961956710?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27ce206f66

You can't splice it bud, the dash gauge is just an indicator the sensor next to it gives the ECU an accurate reading of the coolant temp. But your new gauge will be calibrated to the sensor it's supplied with.

Alternatively you could leave that sensor in and buy a top rad pipe with an 1/8npt port. Whifbitz sell them.

You can't splice it bud, the dash gauge is just an indicator the sensor next to it gives the ECU an accurate reading of the coolant temp. But your new gauge will be calibrated to the sensor it's supplied with.

Alternatively you could leave that sensor in and buy a top rad pipe with an 1/8npt port. Whifbitz sell them.

Ok thanks. Right so ill use the sensor that comes with the gauge then. Ill look for the top rad pipe now.

I assume the oil pressure and temperature will need a sandwich plate to be installed. Are these 'safe' and can you use the standard oil filter still?

Ok thanks. Right so ill use the sensor that comes with the gauge then. Ill look for the top rad pipe now.

I assume the oil pressure and temperature will need a sandwich plate to be installed. Are these 'safe' and can you use the standard oil filter still?

Yep, totall safe and yes you can use a stock oil filter.

Yep, totall safe and yes you can use a stock oil filter.

Brill i shall get shopping. I guess i will just need one with 2 sensor locations. One for temp and one for the pressure gauge.

With the water temp, can you post the link of the pipe, searching on whifbitz it doesnt come up.

A small digi dash is a far better bet when you need more than 2 supplemental gauges in a MKIV. I had a Supra in a bit ago with dials all over the bloody place, down the driver's screen pillar and above the rear view mirror. You could see out of precisely half the rear window, and peripheral vision through the front screen was seriously compromised. Plus, unless you are patient and good, stringing oodles of wires everywhere for lots of independent gauges soon makes the wiring a total mess. My take is a mechanical (capillary tube) oil pressure gauge, a wide band Lambda readout, and boost gauge are all you need. A well built, well set up engine might only warrant a boost gauge in a road car. It's very easy to make a car look comic book with those terrible Defi things all over the place, with dial surrounds falling off and the needles doing the rumba every time you key the ignition.. It's also very easy to drive into something trying to look at them all.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)