The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Want to go single.

gavin.starr

I know people are going to say buy one ready done but i really want to do it my self. Ive been away from here for around 12 months as my engine got the death rattle and i couldnt be arsed wit the car any more.

I see it sat on the drive every day and its starting to make me feel sorry for the old girl. I have decided once my polo is sorted and off the drive I will have the space to work on my supra [GRIN][/GRIN].

I have a spare block complete with pistons etc.. But im thinking about purchasing one of the built engines that currently havent sold on here as a good base to start.

Im going to admit that i know bugger all about what turbo is best to use with what spec'd engine. Bugger all about anything about upgrading to single. I have good mechanical skills and would have no problem what so ever fitting the parts and fabricating things to fit etc... which is where Im going to try and keep the costs down a bit by doing it my self.

The trouble is i havent got the faintest idea where to start with regards as to which turbo and setup to run and what matches to what best etc...

I want to aim for 550 ish HP which i think is a resonable hp to go for. Im not after stupid power.

Like i said im thinking i might flog my complete straight block with pistons, crank etc... and put the money towards one of the built blocks on here.

Im ready for a slagging off and being told not to bother and to get some one to carry out the work for me but where's the fun in that. I want to learn and where better to do it than on here where there is a vast amount of knowledge and a great place for me to learn and get to understand things.

If any one can head me in the right direction of parts and a good setup to be used to gain a good figure. Good second hand parts come up one here so its possible it can be done to a somewhat budget.

Its going to ba a case of save buy save buy all the way through so its going to take me a while but its something i really want to do.

Any info would be massive help

Gav

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the power figure you want just keep it simple. decent quality turbo kit, stock fuel lines and FPR, bosche 044 fuel pump, syvecs and decent mapper!

Wouldnt bother going forged engine! not worth it unless you buy engine complete already done

Plenty of cars being broke for decent second hand parts lately.

With the ammount of singles that get broken up, i believe you could prob do this on £10k minimum

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

People do say "buy 1 already done", BUT, as far as I'm concerned you could be buying someone else's poor workmanship. If you do it yourself, you know it's right. IMO, a single turbo'd supra isn't a car you can just jump in and drive. You need to know the in's and outs of the car too because they take a lot of maintaining. What better way than to do it il yourself.

With the power goals you have mentioned there won't be any crazy modifying either so you could feel your way through it, take your time and get it perfect.

If you get stuck, there's loads of people on here who will be prepared to help out.

Best of luck with it.

Depends if you want quality and reliability? new or second hand? i personally like quality, reliability and New, so to achieve all 3 you pay the money! simples

Don't forget project black dog! Na-t including the car for £3k. Craig is nothing short of a genius.

10k , i could do it on less than 3 for those power goals

Sorry but that thing you built was a heap, you broke it for parts before even having it mapped iirc, the other one was no better, seemed to break every time you drove it.

Do it once and do it right, quality parts and a decent mechanic.

Sorry but that thing you built was a heap, you broke it for parts before even having it mapped iirc, the other one was no better, seemed to break every time you drove it.

Do it once and do it right, quality parts and a decent mechanic.

That was a little harse. Don't hold back Jamie, let it all out.

I want it run and perform and not be a complete pain in the arse which is why i havent gone for high bhp goals.

So im going to try and source the important parts brand new and the no to important second hand. All over a space of time.

I have literally just set up the new supra savings account so the money is going to be flying in there to hopefully start buying bits around march time.

What setup would you guys recomend then?

Gav

What setup would you guys recomend then?

Gav

Rob was spot on.

For 550bhp keep it simple, drop in injectors, single walbro pump will do just fine.

Whifbitz turbokit is very nice, also SRD are bringing out a new turbokit in the new year I hear.

Single plate clutch such as a RPS street max, SRD do some decent intercoolers that won't break the bank.

Decent ecu (syvecs if budget allows) and a good mapper.

Guest Nicholas

5-6 Years ago when people went single they did it right with the best of everything, now people expect big power and reliability for 3-4k, realistically to build a bomb proof single you need £10-15k. Do it once and do it right.

absolutely fed up of the xs power crusaders... buy sh*t look sh*t break alot etc etc

Hear a lot of bad reviews on here for the xs power.

However on supra forums seems to be a fair few over there running them without issue.

It's not in my setup but thought I would put it out there that maybe getting needless bad reviews.

Is it really that bad if some of the guys over there are running big power with their products?

Guest Nicholas
Hear a lot of bad reviews on here for the xs power.

However on supra forums seems to be a fair few over there running them without issue.

It's not in my setup but thought I would put it out there that maybe getting needless bad reviews.

Is it really that bad if some of the guys over there are running big power with their products?

Dyno figures from the US are massively fictional ;)

If i were to use this kit what other parts would best complement it. I take it i would still be able to use the standar inlet manifold and throttle body or would i have to be going down the plenum route too?

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-turbo-upgrades-turbo-kits-garage-whifbitz-p-12162.html

Edited by gavin.starr
forgot to put the link in. (see edit history)

What turbo would you be going for?

He sells the same kit with a turbo too for a bit extra.

For the power you are going for you won't need inlet manifold or throttle body upgrades.

Speak to Paul direct and he can advise you on the best kit he does for your needs and any extras.

The best way i found was to buy second hand quality parts, may take time to accumulate though. Tbh 'from experience' the XS downpipes and braced manifolds are fairly decent, just wouldnt want to trust the parts that involve movement.

Thats what ive heard, My mate at work bought a turbo from them some time ago now and the little screw an the shaft of the inteke side came undone and pinged around the front of the blades and minced it up. Only had it a week :rolleyes: