The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on Trackday preparation please

Sheefa

Right, booked in for 28th Dec. No doubt cold and potentially icey.

I searched the forum as I was sure there was a thread somewhere about what to check before you track your car. No results matched hence asking for a little advice please.

First track day ever for me in the Supra. Car is running flawlessly at present, has larger UK spec Brakes and will be controlling the boost at 1bar - maybe 1.1. Fluids etc all changed in June/July.

What "should" I be checking/replacing/sorting before I head out on track?

My plan was to;

• Inflate Tyres by another 10% or around 3-4 psi more than OEM suggests
  • Purchase and carry small Fire Extinguisher
  • Replace Air Filter with new Blitz Panel
  • Check oil levels and fill right up to max mark if needed
  • Top up anti-freeze and check brake resevoir
  • Remove any loose items in car
  • Remove spare wheel and tools
  • Take Tyre Pump and spare fluids

Any other suggestions? :)

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

main thing IMHO is brake fluid. get some good stuff in there, or if you're low on funds / time at least bleed with your current fluid. I'm no supra expert but I use motul RBF600 on Jspec brakes and its been fine so far.

otherwise, a well maintained standard car should be fine.

main point- ENJOY! :)

I'd leave the spare in there. I'd leave the tyres well alone too. Not sure what you think putting too much pressure in them is going to do? Drive VERY slowly. It'll be easy to get caught out in those conditions.

Thanks Gaz.

main thing IMHO is brake fluid. get some good stuff in there, or if you're low on funds / time at least bleed with your current fluid. I'm no supra expert but I use motul RBF600 on Jspec brakes and its been fine so far.

otherwise, a well maintained standard car should be fine.

main point- ENJOY! :)

If its not been changed in under a couple of years i'd do as above and put some

Motul RBF600 or RBF660 in it, if you can get your hands on a vacuum bleeder its

a one man job and very easy :)

Don't have anything loose inside the car

All fluids replaced at start of the year so just a check is needed :)

Brakes had all new dot 5.1 put in it earlier in the year mate. Air filter was immaculate too when you bought the car so wouldnt bother with that.

Just check the fluids, make sure pressures are correct and don't go too bannanas!! :)

Top man thanks James. Will be taking it VERY steady.

Hopefully it's an open pit lane track day? If you minimise the number of laps you do in a row you will drastically reduce the risk of the bad things happening ie brake fade (pad or fluid related) or tyres overheating (still an issue even in December). It's tempting to stay out and make the most of the time but it's harder than you think on you, adrenalin and concentration wise and the car, tyre and brake wise.

I would certainly do a few laps and then pop back in to check the tyres etc, you can sometimes feel the tyres sliding when they overheat and staying out is pointless really as grip will be down and wear rate will be massive.

where are you going?

If you havn`t got them already? get braided brake hoses and high temp brake fluid in there, normal 5.1 is useless, also what pads you running? with supras on the track we all know how well they go down the straights but stopping before the corners is another matter, good brakes are crucial dude.

Be as smooth as possible, brake in straight lines, feather the throttle through the bends and the straighter the wheel, the more power you should apply. Hitting second turbo mid corner on WOT in this weather is asking for trouble.

Good Fluid and braided lines. The supra is a heavy old girl and punishes the brakes something rotten.

Scooter its at Donington. Not open pit lane but three groups doing 20 min sessions and I've gone for novice. ;)

Brakes are TRD UK Spec Calipers All Round (Front 4Pot, Rear 2Pot)

Rotora Front Discs

OEM UK Spec Rear Discs

Chris Wilson Fast Road Brake Pads All Round

Goodrich Braided Hoses and DOT 5.1 Fluid

:)

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Scooter its at Donington. Not open pit lane but three groups doing 20 min sessions and I've gone for novice. ;)

Brakes are TRD UK Spec Calipers All Round (Front 4Pot, Rear 2Pot)

Rotora Front Discs

OEM UK Spec Rear Discs

Chris Wilson Fast Road Brake Pads All Round

Goodrich Braided Hoses and DOT 5.1 Fluid

:)

Mate this will be epic and you will have a great day. Im going to bring a load of stuff so just come and find a grey scooby and a black 350Z :) If you want I can come out with you for the warm up which will be manditory and show you the ropes.

When you get used to it and relax its really good fun.

Secret is not to push the pace and dont chase lap times and warm upto it over the course of the day. With it being 20 minute sessions you should be fine car wise but if you have time the RBF660 brake fluid is a good idea as the supra is a big car to stop repeatedly.

As others have said dont inflate the tyres any and bring a pump with you so yoiu can asjust on the day.

See you there, any questions just ask.

Mike