The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rad covers and rad plates - designs post one

listy

Right, I've never seen anything like this before, and think it may be a good product.

After reading a recent thread regarding aftermarket rads and the general consensus being they are not as good as the oem rad, and people only get them for the "bling" factor, I have decided I am going to try and mock up a "cover" for the oem rad, so that it looks like an aftermarket rad from the top.

Not sure how easy this will be, but I have a few ideas knocking around my head right now.

As I'm on leave for 4 more weeks, figure its a good time to get some sketches drawn up and see what people think, and maybe get a prototype done.

If anyone has seen anything like this before, please let me know, or even better, link me to it.

Remember, I'm not just on about a plate that sits on the top, but a cover that imitates an aftermarket radiator.

This way, people can get the aftermarket look, without the cost.

Watch this space for sketches, as I'll be trying to knock a few up today.

Also, if people would be interested in something like this, please let me know on this thread.

For the mods: this is NOT an attempt at selling a product, as I know it is against the rules without hobbyist status, I'm just trying to gauge what kind of interest there is, and if there is a niche in the market for something like this.

Rad plate

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I've drawn up a design, but yet again our internet has gone down, so won't be able to post it up for a couple of days :(

- - - Updated - - -

I've drawn up a design, but yet again our internet has gone down, so won't be able to post it up for a couple of days :(

I'm on leave for 4 more weeks.

Bluffer... ;) :D

Interesting idea, matey. I think I can picture exactly what it is you're describing, although I think you're right that it may be hard to construct. :banghead:

Out of curiosity though... I thought the "stock is better than aftermarket" argument with regards cooling applies to the viscous fan Vs electric fan as opposed to stock rad Vs alloy rad? Certainly my alloy SRD rad keeps things much cooler than my old stock one did. Plus they (alloy rads) have the asvantage of not being partly constructed of plastic - my stock one split on me at Silverstone a couple of years ago (my reason for upgrading in the first place) and I've heard since that that's actually fairly common...

As with all OE parts really, the rads are getting old now and wear and tear is starting to make parts more and more U/S. With the cost of a new rad from Mr T not being a huge amount cheaper than a large aftermarket one from the likes of SRD, Koyo, etc it kinda makes sense to upgrade rather than replace, you know?

Of course, all of the above is very much my opinion and I don't want to try to put you off or anything. Plus, I could be talking complete ******** anyway (it wouldn't be the first time... :D )!

Regardless, good luck! :)

Chris Wilson has done flow tests of oem vs aftermarket and the majority fell short of oem. The likes of SRD products are awesome, but the oem read has a copper core, which is the main advantage over aftermarket rads. Plus oem was specifically designed for the supra, where as aftermarket rads are more universal.

Right my Internet works again :)

This is what I have in mind.

The circle denotes the rad cap, and the red line just shows it is behind.

The longer bit at the front is to replace the need for a rad plate, and would act as the mounting point beneath the rad brackets.

The bit it the top left corner is what would be inside the metal, so that the cover would sit nicely on the radiator.

The metal part would be made of 1 or 2 mm stainless steel, not sure on the insert yet.

Comebacks? Queries?

Open to criticism, so long as its constructive. If you don't think it would work, please put "why" it won't work, otherwise its no help to me at all.

I don't think it would mate. It would become too much of a manufacturing nightmare if I did.

Plus, it would be a bit pointless, as you would only be able to see a small bit of it.

If there is enough interest, I can look into a slightly different design, specifically for those who want to keep the stock airbox feed.

Its only the cheaper rads that are rubbish, if you spend more money and by somthing better like SRD OR FLUIDYNE then they are 1 of the best rads for the supra and will cool more then stock rads and also look brill.

But a rad plate is still needed as the gap between the rad and the slam panel is about an inch, so might be worth making some of them as they would sell well if there cheap.

Its only the cheaper rads that are rubbish, if you spend more money and by somthing better like SRD OR FLUIDYNE then they are 1 of the best rads for the supra and will cool more then stock rads and also look brill.

But a rad plate is still needed as the gap between the rad and the slam panel is about an inch, so might be worth making some of them as they would sell well if there cheap.

These are still available are they not?

The idea as said, is to give the look without the cost. Some can't afford a Gucci aftermarket rad, but want the bling look.

If no one is doing the rad plates anymore, then it is certainly something I will look into also.

I'm going to leave this open for interest until Sunday night. If there is enough interest I will go ahead and try to get some prototypes in the new year, if not, then I might just sack the idea, and see if anyone is still making rad plates, if not, see if I can get them done instead.

The fluidyne rad from my old car blew along the top after 3 or 4 years. The oem one in my new car lasted 17 before it gave up :p

:thumbs:

Also, as I previously mentioned, CW did tests on rads, and the comeback was the oem rad was one of the best they had ever tested ;)