The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headers on an N/A

SupraP-Z

Hey guys, what choices to i have when it comes to the N/A? i know theres the OBX manifold, but i dont know what kind of difference this makes, performance wise and soundwise. I dont want the car sounding too raspy...never heard an OBX in person. Can anyone give any feedback? Currently i have stock manifold and double decat. I know Nic had a manifold, but there hasnt been one up for sale in ages, what other options do i have? Cheers

Hey guys, what choices to i have when it comes to the N/A? i know theres the OBX manifold, but i dont know what kind of difference this makes, performance wise and soundwise. I dont want the car sounding too raspy...never heard an OBX in person. Can anyone give any feedback? Currently i have stock manifold and double decat. I know Nic had a manifold, but there hasnt been one up for sale in ages, what other options do i have? Cheers

Why do you want a new manifold? If its just for the sound, try a new exhaust.

Performance wise, not much iirc better putting the money to one side and go NA-t with some extra saving IMO.

I bought a manifold a while back but decided not to fit it and sold it on. Supposed to be one of the better mods to get any sort of (modest) gain on an n/a but I love the tone of my current exhaust and preferred it over the raspy-ness of a mate's with the manifold fitted.

Headers? Are you American? :D

I thought that was the "aftermarket term" for a manifold. I guess not :D

Why do you want a new manifold? If its just for the sound, try a new exhaust.

Performance wise, not much iirc better putting the money to one side and go NA-t with some extra saving IMO.

Definately not for the sound dude, im happy with the sound it makes now, ive got a motoria exhaust with double decats atm. i thought it may release a few ponies and just improve the response overall. Just wanted to see what kind of changes it actually makes really. I would love to go NA-T, but sub £200 vs £2000 is a big jump!!! (not saying it costs £2000 to go NA-T!!!)

Surely there's only one "header"?

Technically the N/A has 2 seperate manifolds :p although i dont know much, hence the thread :D

Monkpower i think has an OBX manifold, double decat with a single box Whifbitz catback, can't remember if its 2.5" or 3" diameter, its quite loud but not too raspy... try it! if you dont like it someone will buy it off you :)

I wish it was this simple..im so tempted to just buy the OBX...theres one up for sale now. I just dont want to put it on and think....why did i bother

I bought a manifold a while back but decided not to fit it and sold it on. Supposed to be one of the better mods to get any sort of (modest) gain on an n/a but I love the tone of my current exhaust and preferred it over the raspy-ness of a mate's with the manifold fitted.

This is the only reason why i wanted to try it, just to see what kind of difference it really makes. Mine is already kind of raspy as ive got double de-cat...but i dont mind it at the level it is...any more and i wouldnt like it

I've got a SS manifold on my NA. Think it's a nic's one but not sure. It did make it a bit louder but not by too much, and it wasn't any more raspy. It was less raspy than my mates NA with double decat and a hks exhaust.

As for any gains, It did feel more responsive but that could have bin my imagination. On the last dynodaze event I did make more power than another NA but only by about 6bhp.

Only way you will know if it improves bhp is to dyno before and after.

I had a OBX manifold on mine with a 2nd decat and a Nur Spec R - it was loud (which was ok) but it was v. raspy above 2.5k.

(But that was to be expected as its well known that the OBX manifolds do make "the raspyness")

May have a quick video I did somewhere, if i can find it will put it up.

I just dont want to put it on and think....why did i bother

Do you not just think that about the N-A in general.

Yes...yes i do - but im stuck with it now! :D

I've got a SS manifold on my NA. Think it's a nic's one but not sure. It did make it a bit louder but not by too much, and it wasn't any more raspy. It was less raspy than my mates NA with double decat and a hks exhaust.

As for any gains, It did feel more responsive but that could have bin my imagination. On the last dynodaze event I did make more power than another NA but only by about 6bhp.

Only way you will know if it improves bhp is to dyno before and after.

This is one thing ive been meaning to do...dyno the N/A, i will have to find a dyno powerful enough to take it on first :taped:

b;3560291']I had a OBX manifold on mine with a 2nd decat and a Nur Spec R - it was loud (which was ok) but it was v. raspy above 2.5k.

(But that was to be expected as its well known that the OBX manifolds do make "the raspyness")

May have a quick video I did somewhere, if i can find it will put it up.

That would be most useful Mr d[-_-]b. Its the raspiness that i dont want, sounds like the car is blowing a raspberry. But i think im going to just bite the bullet and get one, see what difference it actually makes, response and noise-wise. If its too raspy, im just going to take it off lol.

Buy a TT engine and be done with it! By the time you've got your N/A to how you want it you might aswell buy a TT engine

Thing is, ive not done anything to the engine apart from buy a 1st decat for it, and fluid change of course. When i came to fit the 1st decat, i found out i already had a bloody 1st decat on there...happy days! TT engine is a big want...but alas - w58 :( Need to save up to buy a TT6. May come and say hello this week if your around dude :)

Paul at Whifbitz might be worth a try, though his NA manifold has been coming for a long time and not sure when it will be ready.

Ive been waiting aaaaaaaaaaages for paul's NA manifold...and tbh, im bursting...my NA is pissing me off lol, i need a turbo in my life! just cant afford it right now...

Guest Roger999

Ive got dkne extractors and the my booty dyno says it pulls it a bit harder at 4.5k compared to the stock manifold, instead of a linear increase in power it feels a bit more like a surge. But theres no point getting extractors unless you plan on staying na for a bit.

With my NA-BPU project I installed a Xerd Header.

I love it pretty much. I can post a sound video from my trackday for you in the evening if you like.

My supra made 8 bhp more on the dyno. But the delivery of power comes much sooner, I like it.

My car has a handcraftet midpipe with a kenobi sports cat implemented. Rear end is a tanabe medalion touring.

The thing that I want to point out is that a header does only make sense if you stay NA.

I for example am not allowed to convert it to turbo down here in Austria.

Regards, Herbert

Due to not being a native speaker ( my mother tongue is german):

What does header mean in british english? The us guys do say it's a xerd header!? :)

I have an autobahn 88 manifold with double decat, and it is one of the best buys I've ever made.

I was really lucky with mine as it didn't need modifying to fit and fits perfect.

I love it, the sound even though really loud is mental.

The performance is better by a long shot.

Never had it dyno'd before or after but the pull is great, comes in quicker and keeps going.

Mine will be for sale soon as I'm going N/A-T with a new project.

If you're staying N/A than a decent manifold is the way to go.

I did a before and after dyno test with one of the manifolds I use to make, it made an 8hp increase and felt more responsive, although the car was down on power a bit so could have made slightly more on another Supra.

If you do buy one make sure it will fit a RHD Supra, some on the market are designed around the LHD US Supra and can foul the steering column on a RHD. Also check what oxygen sensor bosses are used, some have screw in bosses which means you need to either use a 2 bolt adapter or fit screw in sensors.