The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Handbrake waring light on (Fixed).

Kaan W

So im just wondering as I hear alot about testing for codes and such could I test anything to see why the handbrake warning light is on?

Ive checked brake fluid level, handbrake wires but dont know what else to check. Doors and boot are properly shut also if it makes a difference. Could it be something abs related as I had this unplugged when I took the front loom out? Or a fuse?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

I had a problem a couple of years ago where my brake fluid level dipped momentarily below the minimum mark (monged it on the weekly checks there!), which switched the handbrake and main warning lights (2 x ! ones as you say) on. I couldn't tell you precisely what was done to rectify it, but I know it was a fault code reset. A simple job if one has the kit, I believe. :)

Is it the handbrake warning light to the right or the triangular warning light in the centre?

These supras are wired up really strangely. The triangular light comes on with the handbrake light, the door open etc.

Could be any number of things. Check the handbrake switch under the console to make sure it's not stuck.

Peter

I had a problem a couple of years ago where my brake fluid level dipped momentarily below the minimum mark (monged it on the weekly checks there!), which switched the handbrake and main warning lights (2 x ! ones as you say) on. I couldn't tell you precisely what was done to rectify it, but I know it was a fault code reset. A simple job if one has the kit, I believe. :)

Thanks for that I nedd to find out how to test for codes tho.

is the handbrake on?.... :sly:

Nope :)

You haven't said if you've checked for error codes logged by the ECU. That's the best first step. Also, under what circumstances do the lights come on? Are they on as soon as you switch the ignition on, or do they come on after driving about for a while?

There perminantly on all the time. Its probably just nothing but as said aboveI first need to know how to check for error codes.

Is it the handbrake warning light to the right or the triangular warning light in the centre?

These supras are wired up really strangely. The triangular light comes on with the handbrake light, the door open etc.

Could be any number of things. Check the handbrake switch under the console to make sure it's not stuck.

Peter

Yeah thats the one. Thats what I mean once the handbrake light goes off the main one will probably go off too. Ive checked under the console but dont know what im looking for, I checked the connections but is there some kind of micro switch?

Have you checked that the Stop lights work at the rear?, Just that some Toyota/ Lexus Vehicles bring this (Handbrake/ Brake warning light) light up if a Stop light bulb is out instead of the Bulb Failure Lamp.

Also if it's not the above, may be worth to check the float on the Brake Fluid Level Sensor in the Brake Fluid Resevoir to see if its stuck down or check it for an open circuit, just a thought from previous stuff I've worked on with these symptoms.

Have you checked that the Stop lights work at the rear?, Just that some Toyota/ Lexus Vehicles bring this (Handbrake/ Brake warning light) light up if a Stop light bulb is out instead of the Bulb Failure Lamp.

Also if it's not the above, may be worth to check the float on the Brake Fluid Level Sensor in the Brake Fluid Resevoir to see if its stuck down or check it for an open circuit, just a thought from previous stuff I've worked on with these symptoms.

Thanks for that i'll check these out tomorrow. The rear lights are after market led lights but all work fine. I'll check the fluid level sensor circuit.

are you sure this is not from the syvecs being fitted ? i know that some ecu's put out the warning light in the cetre as you realsticly no long have a stock ecu fitted at all but still have the auto ecu

Yeah but none of the lights were on when I first bought the car with the syvecs fitted.

The warning light on my car used to come on. Turns out it was because the car was trying to put down the active front spoiler but couldn't because I have an aftermarket bumper. I disabled it and its fine now.

When I go over 60 the active spoiler light flashes as I havent got it fitted but this was never an issue before. It must have been bypassed some how.

im pretty sure the main warning light will go off once the handbrake one goes off.

Yeah but none of the lights were on when I first bought the car with the syvecs fitted.

When I go over 60 the active spoiler light flashes as I havent got it fitted but this was never an issue before. It must have been bypassed some how.

im pretty sure the main warning light will go off once the handbrake one goes off.

I think you have found the problem if the light comes on at 60 (as in on the switch unit) it means the active spoiler ECU is stil in place, so basically your car thinks the spoiler has a fault (as it's not there), the ECU is behind the head unit :)

I think you have found the problem if the light comes on at 60 (as in on the switch unit) it means the active spoiler ECU is stil in place, so basically your car thinks the spoiler has a fault (as it's not there), the ECU is behind the head unit :)

Ah ok then thanks mate :) So I just remove the ECU and the light should go out or do I need to put a resister somewhere?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Removed this and no more warning lights come on when the active spoiler speed is achieved. Also I have found out that the handbrake warning lights are on from fitting the my led rear lights as the car senses there is a bulb out as the leds draw less current. So in short its all good :)