The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oops - Facelifting Headlights.

Sheefa

It was all going so well. Then I thought a little wet and dry on the plastic would work wonders to clean up the lense.

Started with 800 horizontally, then 1200 vertically and then 2000 horizontally to finish.

Not quite the clear cut look I was expecting!! Advice ? :innocent:

image.jpg

Make sure you post some pics up Greg, I keep meaning to do mine so be interested to see how you get on. I always thought it was a straightforward job, but saying that the only time I tried it I ended up over cooking the lights! Melted plastic all over the oven, needed professional cleaning in the end! :D

The should come up with a machine polish and compound.

We have stuff in the work from a company called Kent Industries. It is a headlamp repair kit. You flatten the lense to the stage that you have and the kit has special type of laquer in it which you have to spray on through a spray gun. Just spray it onto the lense let it dry and it comes up like brand new.

Once i get a compressor im gonna give this a go and hopefully sort out the age old problem of milky Supra lights.

It's worth sticking with as the result is worth it, I did mine and very happy just wish I'd sprayed black on the inner plastic lol (not the best pic)

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419301_10151354548225116_754314932_n.jpg

I worked them through, started with 1500 grit, 2500, 3000 then 4000. To polish them up I used my rotary polisher and merzena power finish and then finished off with 3M ultra fina, came out perfect. Bonus was I managed to seal them right to and they don't mist up :)

Make sure you post some pics up Greg, I keep meaning to do mine so be interested to see how you get on. I always thought it was a straightforward job, but saying that the only time I tried it I ended up over cooking the lights! Melted plastic all over the oven, needed professional cleaning in the end! :D

Will do mate. The spraying and removal part was easy. I'm starting to think i should of skipped the wet and dry and just given them a good glass clean and polish. Silicone was all over the place mind and the Mrs has been flipping her nut as the headlights went in the overnight with the parsnips :)

The should come up with a machine polish and compound.

We have stuff in the work from a company called Kent Industries. It is a headlamp repair kit. You flatten the lense to the stage that you have and the kit has special type of laquer in it which you have to spray on through a spray gun. Just spray it onto the lense let it dry and it comes up like brand new.

Once i get a compressor im gonna give this a go and hopefully sort out the age old problem of milky Supra lights.

That sounds very interesting indeed. I'm looking at cheaper machine polishers on eBay. Will see what I can do.

It's worth sticking with as the result is worth it, I did mine and very happy just wish I'd sprayed black on the inner plastic lol (not the best pic)

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/419301_10151354548225116_754314932_n.jpg

I worked them through, started with 1500 grit, 2500, 3000 then 4000. To polish them up I used my rotary polisher and merzena power finish and then finished off with 3M ultra fina, came out perfect. Bonus was I managed to seal them right to and they don't mist up :)

Mate they look absolutely mint! Earn yourself some cash and do mine please ;)

If I had time dude I'd do it for free, but just don't have the time like I use to :(

Slightly better pic:

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555493_10151330306280116_2135591026_n.jpg

No worries buddy. They look lovely.

Should machine polish fine from anything finer than 1200 paper.

A mate at his body shop could possibly do them if you haven't got the

mop and cutting paste, i guess £10 each would probably do it

Dunk being honest that would be ideal. Would rather pay someone for these to come up mint mate, if you could ask that would be great.

Buy a polish attachment for a drill. Thats what i did, lots cheaper than buying a polisher!

Good call, what polishing pad type do you use? Might be useful in the future.

No worries buddy. They look lovely.

Dunk being honest that would be ideal. Would rather pay someone for these to come up mint mate, if you could ask that would be great.

Good call, what polishing pad type do you use? Might be useful in the future.

I bought the solid base, then just a soft polishing pad. I originally bought it for polishing aluminium but did the trick :-)

Yep I done the same finished off with 1200 and some g3 on a machine polisher and booooom! Clear as glass. :)

Polished one is on the left:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/jamielfoster86/765A1530-CE6E-4742-9D18-62E359D1A025-123-0000001394B3F50B.jpg

You can get them from halfords around £5 and it fits in a standard drill :)

I bought the solid base, then just a soft polishing pad. I originally bought it for polishing aluminium but did the trick :-)

They look mint mate.

Thanks for the help gents. Will give these another shot next weekend then ;)

Only the left one is polished in that picture lol.

If you get stuck you can send them to me and I'll polish them for you free of charge as long as you cover the shipping costs both ways :)

But I'm sure you will manage, just hit them with some g3 and you will be laffing ;)