The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice, New Wheels Rubbing

Sandy-m2

Hi Guys, I recently bought some new wheels and was quite sure this was going to happen but they are rubbing.

My first thought was to get the arches rolled but I'm not sure if this will be enough. are the tyres to large for the arch, should I be looking at changing the tyres too?

19x8.5j 35offset on 255/35

19x10j 35offset on 295/35

or is it a suspession issue, they only rub when i'm giving it some boost or going over a bump, I have yellow Bilsteins and Stock TT springs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandy

265 or 275 on a 10" rim is the optimal size, 295 really should be on an 11" rim

This.

Also, a 295 would need an arch roll. And 255 on the front seems a bit extreme, optimal iirc is 235 on a 8.5j wheel.

Wrong tyre sizes on the wheels mate.

Try 235-245/30/19 front and no wider than 275/30/19 rear.

this is what i thought guys, as my other 19's have 265's on the rears. i'm wondering if these are an 11" wheel and Chaz just got mixed up.

I bought these because all my other wheels needed refurbed and tyres, really gutted if I have to buy tyres again, was trying to avoid that!

This.

Also, a 295 would need an arch roll. And 255 on the front seems a bit extreme, optimal iirc is 235 on a 8.5j wheel.

Wrong tyre sizes on the wheels mate.

Try 235-245/30/19 front and no wider than 275/30/19 rear.

Yep a 235 or 245 would be better on a 8.5" wheel.

This calculator will show the difference in overall wheel/tyre diameters

from stock to your new set up

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Not massively but they will move about on the rim more by simply

being too big for the rim, they will also not have the correct shape

once inflated.

A bit like going to small, the tyre can't possibly be in its designed inflated

shape and i mean in its cross section not how round it is :D

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

did you put the spacers on for bigger brakes?

No, they fit over the UK spec fronts no problem without. I just wanted them further out to fill the arches a touch more. Have got thicker ones to put on and try - they do catch on full lock a touch but only on the arch liner, not the arch.

have the arches rolled, I have the same tyre setup on my supra and LOVE IT. I had archenemy roll mine and no more rubbing. Only difference is I ran 18x10's all way round mine.

Again, 295 on a 10j wheel is over sized. 275 is the recommended max, with 245 being the recommended minimum widths.

A couple of people run 295 on a 18x10 inch rim (i will be doing, run 285 at the minute) without having any adverse effects, but this does depend on the brand of tyre used as some brands are actually wider so to speak once fitted than others. A 295/35 (18") pirelli rosso for example sits perfectly on a 10" rim but other brands suffer from bulging.