The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Harness shoulder strap bars

john88

Ok Guys n girls,

Before the car goes in for painting I'm thinking of fitting a harness bar. Now my question is does anyone use one? (that isn't part of a roll cage) and where have you fit it?

Now I'm not going to be having a back seat as I'm planning a small audio install in it's place and obviously shoulder straps should be fit between 0 and 45 degrees downwards angle to the eyelets in the seat.

I have used the old bolt in / weld in eyelets with harnesses in the past on other cars but I feel that due to the shape of the rear that I wouldn't be able to fit these in line. So what can people suggest?

And also does any one make one specifically for the supra?

Edited by john88
can't type... (see edit history)

That was quick Jamesy!

As I said I'm planning on doing a small audio build to replace the back seat, but also when I looked at the rear belt points they do look a bit more than 45 degrees. As I've already lost one supra to the track and plan to do more track days I'd rather stay within the limits of what is known to be 'safe'.

I am going to fit mine to my strut brace when i get my buckets & harnesses in

I did think about this, maybe it's just me but it screams 'your gunna regret this' :search:

At the moment I don't have a cage, as the car is a daily but used on the track when I get chance. I've always seen it as the cons outweigh the pro's, like not wearing a helmet on the road and should something happen its something else to bang my head on..... but as they say no sense, no feeling :D

I wouldn't use harnesses unless you have a full cage, do you really want to be fixed tight into position if you rolled and the roof caved in?

Again it's pros and cons really, as you have said which is a very good point. No you don't really want to be strapped in tight with a caved in roof but, then again should something happen... again... I don't really want to smash my helmet against anything in close proximity like windows and steering wheels as you get quite a headache :slapped: