The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help: Servicing an Autobox

Ross C

Guys,

This is probably a very noobish question to ask but having done some searching I cannot find a 100% answer. From what I gather doing the service should be done by a garage as it has to be in Drive to flush the old fluid out and new stuff in, but this isnt the issue.

My question is what parts do I need to give to the garage? Does the box have its own filter that needs changing? If so is it a standard thing I can get from Totoya?

I did fully service the engine with the help of Geo and Ian W but the autobox is a complete blackspot for me.

I await abuse on my noobishness but hope someone can help me.

EDIT: My box is an NA. Dont know if this makes a difference

Thanks in advance.

Ross C

Edited by Ross C (see edit history)

If you wanna do a full flush of the Autobox then i would be getting a garage to do it as you might only be able to get the first 4 litres out if you do it yourself. You will need a Auto-box filter which you can get off CW or Toyota or other traders.

The only thing that i might have done was confirm with the Garage as to which fluid they will be replacing yours with so that you have a good quality fluid going back in.

I think a full flush would require near 9ltr of Auto Box fluid if fully drained.

I'd PM opie oil and see what he recomends for your box. I just bought about 4L of what he recomended and the garage did the rest. From what i can remember reading, full flushes are not recomended to do too often. I think getting 4L of fresh stuff in there will be good enough to know you're looking after it :)

I'd PM opie oil and see what he recomends for your box. I just bought about 4L of what he recomended and the garage did the rest. From what i can remember reading, full flushes are not recomended to do too often. I think getting 4L of fresh stuff in there will be good enough to know you're looking after it :)

i dont think its ever been done on my car mate. I'll pm Opie and see what he says

Totally agree with you Marcus about not doing a flush too often. As you have not had this done yet Ross, it can only be a good thing and especially with the filter change, as after CW did my full flush and filter change the box was silky smooth.

;)

Just done this to mine, but only the 2L sump change and filter. As above there is no gasket, you just need the filter, toyota black sealent and fluid. Filter is only 3 bolts and just drops off. Make sure to get off all the old sealant on both sufaces off the box when re-sealing it up and then just re-fill through the dipstick.

Might I ask what is wrong with yours?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?278839-1st-turbo-problems-could-now-be-autobox/page5

between 2300rpm and 4000rpm its one huge flat spot when in D. speed rises revs dont, makes full boost but this isnt being seen by the engine. Feels like a non turbo supra with the handbrake on.

So either the auto ecu is faulty (bought one to swap and test) or the box is buggered and slipping. Fluid is dark but not burnt, considering the best course of action at the moment, flush and replace filter but might not solve problem or just source a completely new box.