The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem with headlights

Dim Sum

Okay don't know if you anyone had same issues so they can help me out.

Ive fitted H.I.D's on the Supra for the last two years and no problem. The other day it started to flicker and i thought it's probably the bulbs so i order a set anyway, heres the strange thing the headlight are working when the car is not running but when i start the engine one of the headlight goes it.:think:

Any ideas why?

Try changing the ballest, but first check all earths! :)

Hmmm i probably check the earth first, only because at the moment its not really earthed....... Well to be honest they never was earthed.

One is wedged between the stock airbox against the headlamp and the over wedged between the stock battery try to the headlamp.

But i am surprised its only happening now rather than when i first fitted them.

HID ballasts need a minimum voltage to light the bulbs, if the voltage is too low the lights will either flicker or not light at all, this could be caused by a duff battery, old wiring or poor earth, a simple fix would be to buy a relay harness like this that connects the HID ballasts directly to the battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-Relay-Wiring-Harness-H1-H7-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-5202-/290651527294?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ac2e587e&_uhb=1

HID ballasts need a minimum voltage to light the bulbs, if the voltage is too low the lights will either flicker or not light at all, this could be caused by a duff battery, old wiring or poor earth, a simple fix would be to buy a relay harness like this that connects the HID ballasts directly to the battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-Relay-Wiring-Harness-H1-H7-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-5202-/290651527294?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ac2e587e&_uhb=1

Thanks Nic, I give it till tomorrow and i check out the earth issues then if no luck i buy a set of those and see. But thanks all for the quick responses and i post back here for results.