Apologies but another induction question

scott87

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha retail is £350! CRAZY!!! but second hand around £100 mark. Just intrigued to why not just take the cover off your airbox as this is what it looks like....

I actually cut the front of my box open to get more air in. I noticed an improvement in performance and nice sound too :) all for an easy 15mins work.

The reason for a boxed in air box is so heat from the engine is not sucked in. As you know the manifold is on the same side as the air box.

I would imagine this is just pleasing to the eye and gives no performance advantage

Its meant to give huge gains and more so than the usual k&n type kits. But im not overly fussed about there claims, but it does look like an airbox cut open...

Also the filter itself is a huge distance from the manifold, would the heat not be about the same?

- - - Updated - - -

I actually cut the front of my box open to get more air in. I noticed an improvement in performance and nice sound too :) all for an easy 15mins work.

Have you got a picture of this? Did you just use a standard filter?

Couldn't you just take the front of the air box of? Same result surely?

Yea could have done. I left the two top clips in place and about a 4inchs of the left hand side of the panel intact. But i tried to get an even amount of air from the bonnet induction pipe aswell as bottom pipe that goes into the box. Its hard to explain but seemed to work.

Its meant to give huge gains and more so than the usual k&n type kits. But im not overly fussed about there claims, but it does look like an airbox cut open...

Also the filter itself is a huge distance from the manifold, would the heat not be about the same?

- - - Updated - - -

A standard air box is designed to take air from outside the bonnet area only, If you fit this its the same as just taking the front of your air box off so you will the induce air from within the engine bay and your cool air theory has gone.

I've no doubt though it will look good and also sound nice bit I wouldn't go there

I doubt that very much, I remember seeing a thread about induction kits and some made it worse by putting on an aftermarket induction kit. What was mentioned about heat soak is true also which the stock box prevents, so I'd also recommend you keep the stock box and spend the money elsewhere.

I doubt that very much, I remember seeing a thread about induction kits and some made it worse by putting on an aftermarket induction kit. What was mentioned about heat soak is true also which the stock box prevents, so I'd also recommend you keep the stock box and spend the money elsewhere.

I had an induction kit on my old ZR when it was cold it felt faster but as soon as engine bay temp picked up I noticed a change in power. It sounded cool all the time though always had people commenting on how nice it sounded and what exhaust it had on it, fact was it was a standard exhaust. It's all about the induction roar :D

I had an induction kit on my old ZR when it was cold it felt faster but as soon as engine bay temp picked up I noticed a change in power. It sounded cool all the time though always had people commenting on how nice it sounded and what exhaust it had on it, fact was it was a standard exhaust. It's all about the induction roar :D

I am sure everyone on this forum has done that, I done it before purely for show and the induction roar! :D

There is a big thing about tt owners using these once single on the supra.com forums. It is a HUGE surface area for the filter though!

- - - Updated - - -

No cant seem to find one. I have a Blitz panel filter fitted which i check regularly to make sure it hasn't caught a bird or large animal that could block the intake lol

If you can get one that would be brill :-) Really interested to see it. :D

It is a different ball game though when forced induction is involved ;)

Yep agreed. Just a very interesting design. I spoke to Rogue the other day too and they say induction is the way forward but to use the bmc forced induction. More flow and a sealed unit, very similar to the standard one.

I was considering cutting the standard cover on the filter box and attaching a circle flex pipe to it with fibre glass? Would force more air directly onto the filter.

Yep agreed. Just a very interesting design. I spoke to Rogue the other day too and they say induction is the way forward but to use the bmc forced induction. More flow and a sealed unit, very similar to the standard one.

I was considering cutting the standard cover on the filter box and attaching a circle flex pipe to it with fibre glass? Would force more air directly onto the filter.

I wouldn't bother imo, Toyota put a lot of development into the design of the airbox and if doing what you suggested would be more effective they would have done it :)

Edited by Littler
Seemed to have forgotten how to spell (see edit history)

I wouldn't bother imo, Toyota put a lot of development into the design of the airbox and if doing what you suggested would be more affective they would have done it :)

I agree but aesthetically it will be more noticeable from the front end of the car with the pipe showing. Perhaps they compromised function slightly by looks?

I wouldn't bother imo, Toyota put a lot of development into the design of the airbox and if doing what you suggested would be more effective they would have done it :)

Yep, I'd agree with Adam, you wouldn't see much change apart from more noise.

You could try and change the filter element but again doesn't expect a huge change.

I say give it a go mate. Its actually quit satisfying working/modding your car. And if it doesn't work im sure it wont break the bank replacing the box.