The mkiv Supra Owners Club

manual vs auto

Guest projectprelude

stock autobox's arn't that great for dragging and the auto needs upgrading at high power levels (above BPU, as does the clutch in a manual) it's still a very strong box and smooth as silk.

ive never heard of anyone sell a 6speed for an auto, i did the opposite and would never go back, but thats my opinion. the auto is such a good cruiser but boring :) like mfs says, test drive em.

Depends where you live what sort of driving you do, my drive to work is perfect with an auto cos its busy most of the time, then i like to do drag racing so auto is good for that, but when i go over the lakes or any other driving roads i crave the manual, so depends i would like one of each :)

Im sure someone's gonna flame me for this but surely a manual's better for 'dragging'? You cant really build up the revs in an auto, some of the "smaller" manual cars at the pod seemed to get off the line quicker at the pod than some of the supra's. Yeah I know your more likely to wheelspin which is not good when dragging off the startline but if you get it right I would have thought you could get a better launch.

Before you ask, No I have never run my car at the pod.

Matt.

I raced my Auto against SimonB's Manual twice at SantaPod and I beat him off the line both times. He tried it with and without RLTC Launch Control.

Autos change gear faster than manuals. Also they only have four forward gears, so I guess they have one less gear change to make over the ¼mile

traction is the problem with manuals at the strip. Auto's give a reliable and pretty quick getaway everytime, one bit of adrenalin on take off or even on the change from first to second can ruin a manual 1/4 run.

lets face it auto na's are not faster than manual NA's down the strip, but once the power is high enough to cause major traction problems the auto's smooth and zero wheelspin launches plus their slick and quick changes thereafter mean most of the time they win.

Definitely an extra change for the manual too, 3rd to 4th fairly near the end from memory..........

The Auto vs Manual(almost) always refers to power, what about general driving, having driven manuals mostly, when your flying up to a bend it just feels appropriate to change down for a lower gear and boot it when 3/4 round the bend. Can you get anything similar in a TT auto, do you just back off brake and kick down when almost round the bend??? It always just feels a little bit out of control without the benefit of a lower gear to bang it into.Oh and just pulling the stick into a lower gear in auto doesnt count as you cant increase revs like u can when dipping clutch.

Matt

I can use the Auto box as if it were a manual.

I've had 14 cars now, this is the only Auto, and I love it! I can drive it quick on any kind of road, in any condition, and infact I think its easier changing gear mid corner as there isn't as big 'jolt' like there would be in a maunal, and I dont need to take my hands off the wheel for as long as I would if I was in an auto (I use MANU mode alot!).

I suppose you just adapt to the gearbox anyway, but in a powerfull car like this, I prefer the auto box, makes me feel like I'm moving alot faster. :)

apparently lots of people get a manual then swap it for an auto...

Do they?:)

Proper sports cars all have manual gearboxes!:)

If you want reduced driver involvement then get an auto.

I would never get an auto, in my opinion a manual is much more satisfying to drive.

Originally posted by Manic

Im sure someone's gonna flame me for this but surely a manual's better for 'dragging'? You cant really build up the revs in an auto, some of the "smaller" manual cars at the pod seemed to get off the line quicker at the pod than some of the supra's. Yeah I know your more likely to wheelspin which is not good when dragging off the startline but if you get it right I would have thought you could get a better launch.

Before you ask, No I have never run my car at the pod.

Matt.

you right autos are crap for drag racing. you dont need loads of revs to launch an auto 3500 is plenty. autos are old mans cars. the feeling you get when you changing down is a rush, like riding a crest of torque. good thing about auto`s is you can drive it one handed and have a coffee in the other hand :thumbs:

what sort of revs does a manual launch at?

At the woodbridge speed trials the autos certainly pulled away smoothly with nil spin. I tried a manual at Santa Pod and just kept spinning and spinning. Had to pull away at an embarassing 2000 rpm. So if its a wet track the auto will win.

However they are not as controllable round corners and rely on braking. You cant double de clutch an auto round a bend :D

I love my 6 speed. The box is ultra-smooth, and non tractor-like despite claims otherwise from other owners - must be the way the car has been looked after.

If lazy on country roads just keep it in 4th and there is a huge power band!!

Point worth noting is that the Toyota Owners Manual quotes 58mph max speed in 2nd gear, but then you take off in 3rd which makes up for the extra 3rd 0-60 gear change.

The manual box is supposed to be 1 second quicker vs auto in the 0-60 sprint including this third gear change!! So if the manual gear box went to 60 mph in 2nd, its 0-60 would be a gear change faster probably another full second - if you get what I mean.

So in a 0-58 sprint a manual box could therefore be 2 secs quicker than an auto.

Originally posted by Jake

Could you explain what double declutching is, for us poor auto owners please? How does it make a manual TT faster than an auto?

Thanks!

LOL remember back when you were a lad, and gearbox's didn't have synchro mesh's? You used to have go clutch in, shift into neutral, clutch up, blip the throttle to get the ickle gears to rev at the same speeds, clutch in again, into gear and then clutch up. Hence the "double" de-clutch.

Nowadays, at most a quick blip of the throttle just before/as your slipping 'er in is all most if any cars get.

In terms of making you go fast, well it makes you sound like you're going REALLY fast. In real terms your not, because your spending less time with the car in gear and you're foot on the pedal.

Other than that I'm not getting into the whole auto/manual debate as you all know where I coming from....

Tony

Originally posted by 250horses

Point worth noting is that the Toyota Owners Manual quotes 58mph max speed in 2nd gear, but then you take off in 3rd which makes up for the extra 3rd 0-60 gear change.

The manual box is supposed to be 1 second quicker vs auto in the 0-60 sprint including this third gear change!! So if the manual gear box went to 60 mph in 2nd, its 0-60 would be a gear change faster probably another full second - if you get what I mean.

So in a 0-58 sprint a manual box could therefore be 2 secs quicker than an auto.

WTF drugs have you been taking. take no notice of 0-60 claims

wonder if anyone could launch a supra to the claimed 4.9 for 6 speed and 5.1 for the auto.

if you want to find out how good you are at 0-60 get to trax or another timed event and see how good you can do in the real world. i have been told that my 1.7 60 foot is about 4 seconds

dont really matter as supras seem to be crap off the line but make up for it mid range.

:eek:

Could you explain what double declutching is, for us poor auto owners please?Thanks!

Nothing wrong with autos, Supra box box is one of the best autoboxes around, and as I said, in the wet the auto launches quicker with no spin.

Anyway in an auto:

On a hair pin corner, you cant really kick down and maintain full control and power at the apex of the bend and you cant really change down without the risk of sliding.

Double de clutching:

Enter hair pin corner in say 4th, approach apex of bend, brake, put into neutral, rev, put into second and there is a smooooth change down to 2nd with the max power band available.

If you pratice this can be done really fast.

Originally posted by TLicense

LOL remember back when you were a lad, and gearbox's didn't have synchro mesh's? You used to have go clutch in, shift into neutral, clutch up, blip the throttle to get the ickle gears to rev at the same speeds, clutch in again, into gear and then clutch up. Hence the "double" de-clutch.

Nowadays, at most a quick blip of the throttle just before/as your slipping 'er in is all most if any cars get.

In terms of making you go fast, well it makes you sound like you're going REALLY fast. In real terms your not, because your spending less time with the car in gear and you're foot on the pedal.

Hi mate.

Yes I knew all that of course. I was kind of hoping to hear what Charlie (250 horses) thinks double declutching is, and how it makes a manual quicker/better than an auto. . . .

. . . but you've spoiled it now! :p

Hi mate.

Yes I knew all that of course. I was kind of hoping to hear what Charlie (250 horses) thinks double declutching is, and how it makes a manual quicker/better than an auto. . . .

. . . but you've spoiled it now! :p

I KNEW you were old enough to remember what it was, just thought that also meant senility could have set in as well... :p

What do you mean how did I know what it was? Oh I think my dear ole grandpa told me it was something they used to do once they'd turned that handle type think that stuck out the front... :)