The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of getting winter tyres.

Big Mark

The time has come to replace my tyres and as my car is my daily driver I'm thinking of getting some winter tyres.

Anyone running them and if so what make and sizes?

I'm running OEM 17" wheels with 255/40/17 rears & 235/45/17 fronts. I've been to a couple of tyre places. One has quoted £700 for a full set of continentals in the correct size. Another cannot get rears in my size so reccomended 235/45/17 on all 4 corners for £113 per corner fitted.

My plan is to get some 18" wheels in summer and and use my current 17" wheels in winter.

What do you guys think, anyone doing similar?

I wil be keeping my OEM wheels. But my plan currently is to fit winter tyres on there so that I don't have to worry about using the car in snow etc. And then in summer I 'll get myself some 18's with tyres suitable for summer use. Probably something like the Lexus wheels that come up for sale now and again, so nothing super flash.

It's just that I need tyres now and aI need everyday use. I can't afford to be stranded due to snow etc.

I keep meaning to do a write up for the forum. I won a Porsche experience day with Michelin a few weeks ago to test winter tyres vs normal tyres.

In summary the winter tyres made an absolutely massive difference to the grip of the car.

On the skid pan the summer tyres really gave no chance of getting the car back once it had gone in to a slide, the winter tyres actually allowed me to bring the car back under control and get it back in a straight line.

I drove a 911 with summer tyres, and a different one with winter tyres. They had the traction control off and on and even with traction control on the 911 on summer tyres spun every time. The winter tyres and the TC brought the car back every time.

So if you do a lot of winter driving and can afford it I would get winter tyres fitted. Michelin have a lot of tyre sizes available so you may be able to find the ones you need in their range.

I will do a proper write up at some point.

on the rears perhaps look at 245/40 or 45 options, tbh is long as the 235 is not too narrow for the 9" rear you'll be fine with 235's all round.

I can confirm what branners is saying re them in general and I really rate them for all cars, they aren't terrible even when it's warmer.