The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Radar protection

Radio

Hi guys........can I have your opinions on which is the best Radar detection devise suitable for the uk. I not only need it for use in the supra but even if I had a bubble car. Finding it difficult to keep to any speed limit in any of our vehicles apart from my 3 ton digger. Radar around manchester has gone crazy and I see them nearly everyday. In fact i went to see someone in Skipton last week and as I came out of a 10 house hamlet on a country road i drove round the corner from the 30 zone towards a 60 zone and bingo ....their was a copper with a hand held laser just 200 meters from the 60 zone. Fortunately I was only doing about 35 but still over. A detector would have told me he was there. I need a devise that I can transfer to each car I use. Cheers Ray

For a few years I used a combination of a rudimentary laser & camera detector (not jammer, therefor rendering it pointless) and later on, a newer satnav Snooper speedcamera detector.

Anyway, I found myself watching it and listening to its beeps and warnings more than the road sometimes.

I don't bother with them any more except for the Sat nav function bit.

For me, the cockpit is nicer and calmer place to be now without the gizmos.

Still, I'm sure you'll find something.

Ps I've owned Supras since 1995 and have never been caught speeding and have never had any points.

Well done you Lbm. I notice you said never "caught" speeding. However its very easy drifting over the speed limit and anything that could help detect the police with their beams would help. I will add I really try hard to keep within the law apart from a burst on the motorway................Perhaps I should start wearing bananas on my head......is that the trick.

Well done you Lbm. I notice you said never "caught" speeding. However its very easy drifting over the speed limit and anything that could help detect the police with their beams would help. I will add I really try hard to keep within the law apart from a burst on the motorway................Perhaps I should start wearing bananas on my head......is that the trick.

I don't think it's easy to drift over the speed limit when in built up areas or going through villages...it's remarkably easy to behave oneself I find.

It's not so much the bananas...it's more...not driving like a nob.

And yes, I too enjoy a blast up the motorway. As always, pick your moments wisely :)

this thread is not going to end well lol.

If you can't stop yourself going over this limit then your either not paying sufficient attention or you need to look at your driving style.

I understand what he is saying. You can be the safest and slowest driver and get caught. My mum drives slowly and I've never know her to have had any crashes that were her fault yet she got caught doing a bit of the speed limit in a 40 limit. Especially in a more powerful car I find it easy to creep up over the speed limit under gentle acceleration.

I almost got caught when I came into a 30 limit that starts at the top of a hill. There also used to be a speed camera half way down a steep hill where I live and I saw a lot of people that probably didn't live around here get flashed by it.

I also find I worry about speed limits so much these days I almost end up going in the back of people or running idiots over that run accross the road infront of me while I'm busy checking my speed every 2 seconds.

Mmmmm! I think you'll find that paying attention to your environment and driving properly is all you'll ever need to prevent being caught driving too fast!

Where to start? Roads you've never driven on before? Don't exceed the limit unless you can clearly see no hazards and I include speed traps in this group!

Absorb as you drive. See everything in front and behind. Allow nothing to distract you. I don't even speak when I'm driving.

Know your vehicle intimately (I don't mean sex it) learn your cars capabilities and both yours and your vehicles limits in as safe a ,anger as you can.

Lastly before I rant right on put yourself outside your car and imagine how others would view how you've just driven and use that in your future driving career!

If you have the sat nav running & set it to alert you on speed limit then it bleep each time you exceed the limit, though as others have said is dead easy to driving on the limit & even a few miles over if you are attentive enough you can spot them & slow down enough. By law now they need to be visible.

Thanks for the driving tips..........i have driven Mkiv Supra's since 1999 and also, have never been "caught" speeding in a supra (up to now) and long may it continue. I have been driving 43 years and never had a crash, and long may that continue. But my wife was done for 36 in a 30 and I was done doing 37 in a 30 some time back. Neither of us were hardly driving like a "nob" but still over the limit. In fact when we attended a speed awareness day it was full of people that had gone over the limit by just a few miles an hour and was caught by a speed trap. Not a boy racer in sight. I'm sorry my attention isn't up to the standard of some of you and I promise i will try harder. But I did only ask if anyone knew of a good system to buy. Remember to smile the next time you look at your speedo and its gone just a few miles over the limit. Have a good Christmas....

Thanks for the driving tips..........i have driven Mkiv Supra's since 1999 and also, have never been "caught" speeding in a supra (up to now) and long may it continue. I have been driving 43 years and never had a crash, and long may that continue. But my wife was done for 36 in a 30 and I was done doing 37 in a 30 some time back. Neither of us were hardly driving like a "nob" but still over the limit. In fact when we attended a speed awareness day it was full of people that had gone over the limit by just a few miles an hour and was caught by a speed trap. Not a boy racer in sight. I'm sorry my attention isn't up to the standard of some of you and I promise i will try harder. But I did only ask if anyone knew of a good system to buy. Remember to smile the next time you look at your speedo and its gone just a few miles over the limit. Have a good Christmas....

You do make me lol Ray.

:D we all go slightly over the limit from time to time and it's when you get caught doing a few mph over it's gutting.

Mmmmm! I think you'll find that paying attention to your environment and driving properly is all you'll ever need to prevent being caught driving too fast!

Where to start? Roads you've never driven on before? Don't exceed the limit unless you can clearly see no hazards and I include speed traps in this group!

Absorb as you drive. See everything in front and behind. Allow nothing to distract you. I don't even speak when I'm driving.

Know your vehicle intimately (I don't mean sex it) learn your cars capabilities and both yours and your vehicles limits in as safe a ,anger as you can.

Lastly before I rant right on put yourself outside your car and imagine how others would view how you've just driven and use that in your future driving career!

I shall forward this to Ellis so he can add it to the Dragonball packs.

Cheers Lads.....will look into the snooper. The wife got done on that sneaky bend just below the steak house where we meet each month. Perhaps that why Mr side-exit-exhaust (tim) took rick the other way when he was showing him his upgrade. Must have been going about 31.............in neutral. Talking of steak!

There is a product you can get that works as parking sensors, alas it's on the same publically-available laser wavelength as the police guns use. This parking sensor is quite clever, it punches through any 'interference' it may encounter by sending a really strong laser pulse out, so you can park properly.

If you encounter this interference while actually driving, you should remember to switch the system off. After making sure you're driving safely of course. That way, any police laser guns can get a proper reading and therefore they would have no valid reason to stop you. If you are daft enough to leave it on then they might have words, so really you have to use it sensibly.

I personally like my Laser Elite parking sensors on my Supra :D