The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rust when purchasing a Supra

Leem21

Hi Guys,

I have been to see a few Supra's now, in the market for a 5 speed manual NA, most of them I look at have visible rust underneath, how do you make your judgement when purchasing?

And if worst comes to worst can the rust be cut out and a new panel wielded in, would the cost for this be extreme?

I have also noticed a common problem is rust around window seals which on a few have bubbling paintwork is this an easy repair, it is firm to press on and doesnt break away.

Just looking for a heads incase I do need to get some work done.

Thanks people.

You will be hard pressed to find a MKIV with no surface rust underneath, the newest you are likely to find for sale is now 15 years old. I am seeing some horrible UK spec ones these days, our climate is not kind to steel shelled vehicles. I personally have always bought road cars on the basis of body condition, never colour, options or "extras". More so with old cars. A rusting tailgate is effectively scrap, effecting a total cure will cost more than a new one. Under body rust of a panel penetrating nature would lead me elsewhere, fast. Best you are likely to find is a fresh import.

If you are talking about rust on the suspension arms (The cast iron ones) then this is too be expected, or do you mean rust on the actual underside of the car/sills etc.

I have only recently bought my n/a supra and its a 1995 imported in 99 and done 100,000miles and it is completely rust free. So they are definitely out there!

Ive seen a lot worse. most of that looks cosmetic, but your gonna want to fix it and treat with suitable paint too.

Thats good to know, I dont mind doing the work / Paying to get the body in good shape as I will be putting a lot of cash into it.

I just dont want to throw cash at something if it cant be repaired if you understand where im coming from.

Thats good to know, I dont mind doing the work / Paying to get the body in good shape as I will be putting a lot of cash into it.

I just dont want to throw cash at something if it cant be repaired if you understand where im coming from.

Like i said check the structual points, sills, arches inside doors under boot carpet etc etc. But mine had similar rust on the heat shields and tank cover, but i removed shields and painted tank cover.

Thanks guys for the information, So with the underbody rust, should I sand the surface rust off then apply a fresh coat waxoyl and im good to go, few bubble spots near the rubber seals but as stated above this is due to the design holding water I will get these done professionally.

Cheers